• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from Iraq

Jaylb&ko

Thats right i am in the desert but will be coming home for good in April 2009 and wanting to start kind of a side line to do some vinyl graphics out of a motor home or a travel trailer as we kind of travel around for a few years. We have bought a small cutter it a Rolland Sitka SV8. Haven't had a lot of time to play with it or the software but it looks like it will do a pretty good job for small stuff. Now my big question for every one. I am also an amature photographer but take some pretty good photos have a good quality camera and lens's. So what i was thinking of doing is buying a good Photo printer to use with the Sitka since it will do the print then cut function. My question is i found a pretty good photo printer a Epson R1900 but it doesn't say anything about printing on vinyl i was wondering if any one has ever tried this before and how it worked out for them. Also any pointers or help on our plans about equipment that will travel well and be easy to learn for the beginner.

iSign

Welcome to signs101!
I would suggest considering the Edge.

As fine and clean as a photo quality print looks... the bigger part of it's value on a sticker is the composition, which is done behind the lens, in your mind, and your set-up of the subject.

If you have a good composition & an appropriate image, a sticker is still just a sticker... don't mind the folks who say "don't call them stickers"... because a decal's just a decal too :glasses:... it still ain't a fine photographic specimin... and even though inkjet printers can reproduce photo quality...

...if you want to make stickers, AND you want to take it on the road... I think you'll be better off sacrificing larger un-cured prints, needing dry time & a large laminator, (not to mention storage of multiple large rolls of media)... in exchange for a more grainy, lower resolution print, on 15" rolls, ready to cut, and apply in 5 minutes...

Many of us have put years and years into producing and selling quality stickers and decals off the Gerber Edge system, long before anyone was producing photo quality stickers... and I'm still doing just that even though I also now have well over 300 sq. ft. dedicated to large format printing, finishing & media storage.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

RJ California

Good points and good advice about the Gerber Edge for an area with such limited space. I would check out some sign trade shows for ideas and education also.

Jaylb&ko

Thanks guys

The only reason i was looking at ink jet was that way i could kill two birds with one piece of equipment you might say. Print my photos for customers and then also use it for the vinyl if it would work for it just going to like you say go to some trade shows when we get back not looking at getting real big time at it at first just doing some small stickers and stuff for mostly Bike rallies and stuff maybe a few window signs for cars and trucks kind of small stuff i can do to pay for our gas maybe as we travel but with the price of gas going up that may be a full time job any more. Thanks for all the info and i am always open to new things and new ideas. thanks again

GregT

First off, THANK YOU!:unclesam:

Second, WELCOME!

Third, have you looked at Roland Versacamm, they print and cut.

imaSIGNr

Stay over there and open a sign shop,, I here the economy is booming!! J/K
I've actually wondered about the sign needs in Iraq and the area. I didn't say I was planning to go there, just wondering.... There must be a fast turn over in some areas....and thanks for serving.:peace!:

w2csa

Thank You Thank You Thank You!!

Welcome from The Finger Lakes NY!

There are several (Eco) Solvent printers out there, The Roland Versacamm SP300 works good for me.

Marlene

the Edge is a good machine. we bought the old style one then upgraded to the Edge II. I've not had any problems with either. Gerber built stuff is built to last. You can pick on up at a pretty good price. I'd check with suppliers first for a used Edge.