• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello From Jax, FL

Reidyroo

Hey guys, I created an account some time ago but never really used it. I’m from Jax, FL and have been in the sign industry for almost 10 years. Unfortunately, the company I worked for let me and everyone go as they are closing shop. I love this line of work completely but now I’m faced with a dilemma, work for another sign company or start my own. I would love to be my own boss and call the shots, but it seems like a giant transition that I don’t even know where to start at. Any tips, opinions, directions to other threads and/or any other advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If you want to start your own, it can take a while to build enough clients to survive. When the sign shop I used to work for quit making signs, I started working in another unrelated industry and started doing signs on the side from home. After a few years I was able to quit that job and fly solo.

If you went to work for another sign shop, you really wouldn't be able to work on your own signs on the side due to the conflict of interest.

Pray about it

Johnny Best

Go for it, if it does not pan out get the job in the sign company. Sub out work until you have saved enough to buy a printer and equipment. Good luck starting out on your own.

d fleming

Hey from your neighbor in the Burg, nothing wrong with putting on the good shirt and selling some work. Sub out what you cannot produce until you can. Lots of shops are going the way of the dodo bird. Service shops are doing well but corner sticker shops are about to be a thing of the past. Everyone, and I mean everyone, can go on line and order printed/cut material of all kinds cheaper than most of us can make it. What they cannot do is service. If you decide to work for someone else, try the larger shops that have been around a good long time so you're not in this boat again in a year.