• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from Key Largo, Florida

aemitchell

My father taught me a valuable lesson that I've used all my life. He told me, "If you don't know how to do something, hire someone who does, watch how he does it and you'll know how to do it the next time." Now I can tear apart and rebuild my large format Roland Soljet printer/cutter and I can build really cool computers.

I was first introduced to photography by my parents in the 60's and sign manufacturing in high school (1972). Back then we hand cut all our letters out of wood, arranged them on our layout table. Then we took a large sheet of acrylic or Lexan and heated it in a booth with a torpedo heater until it was pliable. Next we laid it on top of our wood lettering and turned on the vacuum built into the table to suck the heated acrylic till it was vacuum formed and cooled. We hand painted the reverse to give it color. I do not miss those days! This is also when I learned to how to make silk screens using AB positive photo transparencies.

When I finished teaching early childhood Ed. in public and private school I was hired by a sign and graphics Co. (Redwood Graphics) out of Texas, to travel the USA by RV and design sandblasted redwood maps for adult RV parks. It was great! The RV parks let me stay for free until the designs were done then I would move onto the next park. My company only needed hand sketched layouts, but I wanted a challenge so I bought software and taught myself how to use the computer.

While traveling through the Florida Keys for Redwood Graphics, I met and married my wife. When we couldn't get a sign shop to respond to our request to letter our friend's new office we bought the sign shop.

Nine years later we own the largest sign shop in the Keys. My wife had a distinct advantage when it came to mastering our software...she read all the manuals! We specialize in boat lettering and custom yacht club burgees, but we do every kind of sign manufacturing our customer’s request.
We enjoy our work because every day is different. My wife says making signs is like crafts class every day. I love it because it lets me learn new skills in graphic design software and photography.

The down side to the sign business: Every day is we work long hard hours to fill last minute orders. We constantly feel stressed like we have a college project that is past due. We gross alot of money, but our overhead is so high that our accountant says our income is below poverty.

The advantage to this business: Our sign shop pays ALL our bills. My wife is always making me buy new fancy tools, computer software and she even makes me build really fast liquid chilled solid state computers so we can have lots of tax write offs. We get to meet the nicest customers and a lot of them we call friends!

zmatalucci

Welcome from NJ! I love the keys, and my favorite billboard is just south of Key Largo..."Don Bailey Flooing" on Rt.1
I'm down there every year, I'll have to look you up next time I'm down there. We just got back 3 weeks ago.

Tintman928

Welcome to the forum, I just started doing signs, much like you unable to get someone to make a sign for you, drove me to add signs to my tinting business.
:rock-n-roll:

SD&F

Howdie from North Georgia and I would love to come down to see the Keys.....have never been.

SignManiac

Greetings from the land of oranges, cows and old blue haired crinkly people!

Just north of you in central FL. Thirty two years living in FL and never been to the Keys!

beckys

We too were in Key Largo for 3 weeks, 4 weeks ago, and going back on Tuesday for another week... heaven.
I used to hand cut logos, so I know old school, just not that old, lmao
Welcome to signs 101

wirenut

Hello from Sellersville, Pa. Just coming on board and have a lot of questions......going to the atlantic city show next week end. Have been looking at Roland printer/cutters and am hot to buy 1. Can any body tell me which route to look. Interested in the VS-640 and have an opportunity to purchase a refurbished SC-545EX. Any input would be much appreciated