• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello From L.A....

Snappy

as in Lower Alabama.....

Hey guys and gals... I have posted a couple times but have not informally introduced myself. My real name is Jon Jantz and the nickname Snappy comes from my wife because..... never mind, unnecessary information. I'll give you some background... you can skip it and just say 'Hey' if you like.

------ Beginning of long-winded family history ------

Anyway, I've been in the sign business on and off for about 12 years. I started out by working for a company that did a lot of different kinds of signs as well as large video walls. Didn't know much about signs, but knew Coreldraw pretty good, so told them I was a pro, and fade it til I made it.. faked it til I maked it.... ummm.. however that goes. A good learning experience, none the less.

When they bombed due to over-extending themselves on the video wall equipment, one of the guys there and I started our own sign company. We did vinyl signs and banners, vehicle lettering, racecars, was one of the first around to have a vinyl printer (Fargo Pictura 310s.. AAAAARGGH), large lighted signs, screen printed shirts, screen printed signs, plaques, trophies, awards.. (had laser engraver), airbrushed signs, items and shirts (not me, had a dude that was really good at it working for us..) and about anything else remotely sign related.

We did tons of business and soon had to hire several employees, however it was a typical small business situation in that some months my partner and I made good paychecks, and other months we were tight. After a couple years, his wife got tired of it and talked him into taking a job at a local paper mill "for the benefits." He said he'd get off at 3:00pm and be in most days for a few hours in the afternoon and early evening to help out....

Yeah, that worked out. I'd see him every couple weeks and that was mainly to get a 'paycheck'... after a couple years or so of that, I finally was tired of carrying all the responsibility myself, so approached him about dissolving our partnership. He wanted way too much for his half, so I finally said I was quitting... we sold the business, paid off the equipment and went our separate ways.

I now work as a CAD operator for my dad's contracting company. I do all the plans and pull the permits. Most of our work is in Pensacola, FL, and pulling a permit in Florida is like applying for a visitors pass to the space station. I have learned a lot of patience.

I still do signs, graphics and webpages on the side. The name of my compnay is Snappy Sign and I have 2 Roland 24" cutters, an old Roland 20" cutter, still fire off the ole Pictura once in a while, ID card printer, and sub out all my digital printing to Blake Koehn, my brother-in-law... I probably do sign or design work about 20 hours a week on the average. My wife also helps out in the business.

So, while I am still learning a lot, I have been around this business for a little while and have experienced it from different perspectives...

Also, I live about 35 minutes away from Joe Pribish so I know I can always look to him for counseling or guidance if I get in a pinch. I think he posts here sometimes, but y'all probably know him as Old Paint... :Big Laugh

I am also married to a beautiful woman named Monica... and a few of my interests are kiteboarding (we're pretty close to the Gulf), flying R/C airplanes.. (about 20 years), crashing R/C helicopters (about 1 year) and regular flying (training ran aground several years ago about half way to my private license..).

------ End of extraneous information ---------

So I'd like to say 'Hello' to everyone, and warn you ahead of time that I like to help out when I can, but am rarely serious.... so often my posts will consist of non-humorous humor, thinly veiled sarcasm, or ill attempts at satire. Please overlook this and act like I'm cool...

Thanks!! :rock-n-roll:

Signgrl

welcomwagon.gif

I am new here too. Just joined yesterday.​

SignManiac

Welcome Jon, I'm also a newbie. I know Mike Sheehan over in Pcola real well. I have read about the OP here. I think he's an old timer.

Jillbeans

Hey Jon it's all good as long as ya don't end yer posts with that
/
//
///
thing you do in the 'Ville.
hahaha
And I couldn't pretend to be cool if I tried.
Love....Jill

tanneji

Welcome from Arkansas! and a displaced Mobile native and Auburn grad ... good to see some representation from LA!