Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from NH

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by brandywine, Jun 15, 2004.

1. brandywine

brandywine New Member

May 30, 2004
    My name is Yori, I have been doing graphic design and web design for a few years now, looking to expand into the sign market.

recently aquired a Vinyl Express Panther 24 with LXI sign master Pro bundle.

Just made my first sign this week...

I am looking for tips on procuring substrates for exterior signs like alumalite, coroplast and 4x8 sheets of solid or pre painted signs. Bought a few books and videos.

harder than it looked..... :)

Tags:
  2. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Welcome to our boards Yori.

Have you checked for sign supply distributors in your area? Many will stock commonly used substrates as well as provide advice on getting good results.

:signs101:

3. geb

geb Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Adirondacks
    Hi Yori, good luck in the business and your new cutter.

George

4. Tina P

Tina P New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Hey now, Will be glad to help. Where r u located?

5. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

yori, is that russian?

6. jimdes

jimdes Active Member

Dec 10, 2003
    New England Sign Supply - Woburn, MA
    Plastic Supply - Manchester, NH
    Artist & Craftsmen - Portland, ME
    Garston - Haverhill, MA

7. Deadhead

Deadhead Member

May 29, 2003
    Try Ameriban, not a lot of substrates, but great for the vinyl & banner supplies. 1 800 654 8405

8. Greg

Greg Member

Jul 30, 2003
    There's also Supplies Unlimited in Wakefield, MA. They have general sign supplies (unsure on substrates) but they have vinyl, blades, equipment, etc. Seems to be a small family run business. They were friendly when I visited and picked up some app tape, blades, etc. for a rush job.

http://www.suppliesunlim.com/

You'll probably need to call or visit. Their web store ain't all its cracked up to be yet (imho).

9. brandywine

brandywine New Member

May 30, 2004
    Greg,

thanks for the heads up... are you local .... I would like to find a local experienced shop to bring larger jobs to in trade for some mentoring...

yori

10. brandywine

brandywine New Member

May 30, 2004
    replies

Thx to all for the info, it definately helps, i'll be on line tonight doing some research now ...

Yori is Russian but i'm 4th generation from Philadelphia.... my parents were hippies and I got stuck with the name :)

I grabbed a few books on line for some education. ... should I stick with all cast vinyl for exterior use.?? looks like the way ... I am looking to do some truck lettering .... gold on black shadow .....

yori

11. Greg

Greg Member

Jul 30, 2003
    I don't know that I'd put myself in the experienced category. At least as far as application of vinyl is concerned. My forte is more in the graphic design area which is something I have been doing for 15+ years. My shop is my home. I too am still learning the mechanics of application, cutting, substrates, etc. and all the other details necessary to do this type of work WELL. The main thing is I enjoy it.

I will be purchasing a Versacamm (approx. 30" Print & Cut) shortly and would be happy to assist you in your needs. If you ever need to borrow a cup of vinyl just let me know.

12. Terry Nicholson

Terry Nicholson New Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hi Yori
    you are in for a great time in this business.
    Terry

13. Dennis Raap

Dennis Raap Active Member

Oct 5, 2003
    USA
    Hello Yori
    Nice to meet you :smile:

14. nodrenim

nodrenim Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Hi, Yori, Welcome to the craziest business in the world. I've been in it for 43 years now. Now I do mostly neon bending in N.C. Worked in Maine and N.H. It's great country, but too cold for me. Have a great career. Nod Renim

15. nesscoben

nesscoben New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Yori, Welcome to this insanity, it will keep you up at night! New England Sign Supply, nesignsupply.com delivers to your door whatever substrates you need. We can also support you in any software and equipment you need in the future. Welcome!

Ben

16. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    welcome from cali :thumb:

17. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    I think OL' Yori has been here for awhile..........

1st Post on this threat was on 6-15-2004....................:ROFLMAO:

18. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

It looks as though this company dug this old tread up to put in a plug for their supplies.... Get a MM and you can advertise as much as you want.. Now you just look bad!

19. beckys

beckys Member

Oct 6, 2004
    of course they don't tell you they charge like 7.00-15.00 dollars for delivery, no matter what it is.
    only use NESS when absolutely necessary.

20. Mason

Mason Very Active Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Supplies Unlimited, Wakefield Ma.
    Zimmern Sign Supply, Newburyport Ma.

...........Uh yeah... old thread... I got suckered...