• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from Plainfield, IL

jrh4711

Hello all, I have been reading alot here at SIGNS101 for a few months now. There is a lot of knowledge here. Thanks for all of the info.

I got into doing vinyl wall decals because my wife went to one of the wall decal parties. She did not buy anything because she wanted more personalized decals. So I looked into it for her. I started asking folks around here what the big deal was. I found a neighbor that is probably Uppercases Living's biggest customer. She too wanted more personalized wall decals.

So I bought Corel Draw X4 WOW what a learning curve. I got okay at using the program for designing some pieces. Now I am just doing cut vinyl for walls. So I have not even scratched the surface on the Coral program.

After alot of research I bought a cutter Graphtec CE3000-60 mk2. I had to redesign everything I had done. Another learning curve.

I have learned alot. I tried not to compete with the sign makers because I cannot compete with the quality you guys put out.

I had a request from a friend of a friend to do a race car. From all I have read here about the race cars I was really hesitent about even talking to this guy. But I did so as a favor. I wen't to his garage introduced myself. Got everything I thought I needed from him, measurements, design concept, colors. For all of you experts what did I forget? Yep the deposit. Luckily there were no problems except a few weeks delay on his part. I charged him $400 just for the cut RTA vinyl. No install. After I delivered the vinyl I asked him what he paid last year. He said $125 for more than I did this time. My original price work up was $725 installed. He did not want it installed.

I am currently doing word of mouth work for the wall decals. I am only making about $400 TO $500 a week on this but it has steadily increased. I do enjoy doing the vinyl designs. I am working on a catalog but it is slow going. I have 22 pages of designs complete.

Thanks for reading all of this I need a beer, it's hot here.:beer
Jeff