Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from Plainfield, IL

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jrh4711, Jun 22, 2009.

1. jrh4711

jrh4711 Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Hello all, I have been reading alot here at SIGNS101 for a few months now. There is a lot of knowledge here. Thanks for all of the info.

I got into doing vinyl wall decals because my wife went to one of the wall decal parties. She did not buy anything because she wanted more personalized decals. So I looked into it for her. I started asking folks around here what the big deal was. I found a neighbor that is probably Uppercases Living's biggest customer. She too wanted more personalized wall decals.

So I bought Corel Draw X4 WOW what a learning curve. I got okay at using the program for designing some pieces. Now I am just doing cut vinyl for walls. So I have not even scratched the surface on the Coral program.

After alot of research I bought a cutter Graphtec CE3000-60 mk2. I had to redesign everything I had done. Another learning curve.

I have learned alot. I tried not to compete with the sign makers because I cannot compete with the quality you guys put out.

I had a request from a friend of a friend to do a race car. From all I have read here about the race cars I was really hesitent about even talking to this guy. But I did so as a favor. I wen't to his garage introduced myself. Got everything I thought I needed from him, measurements, design concept, colors. For all of you experts what did I forget? Yep the deposit. Luckily there were no problems except a few weeks delay on his part. I charged him $400 just for the cut RTA vinyl. No install. After I delivered the vinyl I asked him what he paid last year. He said $125 for more than I did this time. My original price work up was $725 installed. He did not want it installed.

I am currently doing word of mouth work for the wall decals. I am only making about $400 TO $500 a week on this but it has steadily increased. I do enjoy doing the vinyl designs. I am working on a catalog but it is slow going. I have 22 pages of designs complete.

Thanks for reading all of this I need a beer, it's hot here.:beer
    Jeff

Tags:
  2. GZ SIGN DESIGNS

GZ SIGN DESIGNS Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Hello and welcome from, Roselle,Il

3. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    Welcome from OK.

4. DOGraphics

DOGraphics Very Active Member

Aug 9, 2007
    :Welcome: 2 :signs101:

5. Red Ball

Red Ball Very Active Member

Aug 20, 2008
    IRVING, TEXAS
    Welcome from the Kingdom of Texas!

6. Sign Up Graphics

Jan 8, 2007

Welcome from Skokie, IL :thumb:

7. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Howdee from VA.................

8. jscarl

jscarl Very Active Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Welcome

9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome from PA......................

10. onan

onan Premium Subscriber

Dec 26, 2008
    chicago
    Welcome from Chicago:Welcome:

11. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Another welcome to the forums from PA....