• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from simpleprt

simpleprt

Hi everyone
I was introduced to this forum by Kevin Kennington from www.lakesgraphics.com and its a great site with tons of info.

I am a newbie. And Simpleprt is a trial / experiment to checkout what opportunity exists in the printing business in Australia that we can do by handling offloading to low cost facilities like China. My associate currently stationed in Guangzhou China has access to several large print facilities there and can be your person for co-ordinating any overflow or outsoucing your design work or printing needs.

So how did I get here, its long way from downunder.

I was looking into canvas printing that became popular through .au TV commercials just couple of months before the world cup soccer 2006. Look again, another 5 or so google sponsored .au prints companies hopped to reap this supposedly lucrative canvas print niche, Todate (sept06) there must be another 20 or so that joined the band wagon from .au alone. Ebayers and other online shop join the ranks and previous prices at $400 a custom canvas print is matched by equivalent prints of $100, $90, $80 from UK, USA, HK and some china sites. Believable or not, are we comparing likes to likes, I think those that invested hoping to reap a $400 retail piece is now in for a surprise, that retail prices have gone so quick and so low.

Car wraps is another coming attraction here in .au where install price of full wrap around $2300/-, is it going the custom canvas print route?

Outsourcing printing may be a win win situation, like BPO (business process outsourcing) by Indian companies, which is inevitable. At simpleprt, we like to network with those like-minded people to see how far we get to in this industry, either way, the east and west will meet at some point for mutual benefit and co- existence.

Just a thought - what if all these ebayers flock to selling services, print services? Phew!

Ian Wong
Sydney, Australia
email: simpleprt at gmail dot com

iSign

simpleprt said:
Car wraps is another coming attraction here in .au where install price of full wrap around $2300/-, is it going the custom canvas print route?

Just a thought - what if all these ebayers flock to selling services, print services? Phew!

I don't see the low wages in china bringing down the cost of installing a wrap. Maybe the printing will be available for less... but even that will probably only be a real viable option for corporate entities doing mass marketing of identical wrap designs on numerous identical make & model vehicles...

...otherwise I would think that the design & sizing of panels is too custom & too complex to justify outsourcing the printing. But I guess if they order carefully & don't mind the wait, some signshops could outsource the printing & make good money on the install.

Those crazylow prices are not good, but they haven't been too bad for business to me yet. I don't see an end user finding the opportunity to use chinalow prices to cut me out of doing their wrap... but I could see the competition using them to compete with me without having to buy a printer. I pity them if they foul up a panel & have a 90% installed wrap on the road for a week while they await a reprint. (then factor in humidity, profile, ink, or media changes & they have a color matching issue as well)