• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello, from still in the snow

EMSbyDay

Hey everyone, Ontario Canada checking in.

Man, do you folks down South still have as much snow as we do here. I'm SOOO done with winter.

I've had a few threads going so far looking for equipment advice, and thank you for all the helpful replies, but I figure its time I really introduce myself.

I actually come from a very different background in Emergency Medicine, working on an Ambulance, which due to its shiftwork and long days, allows alot of days off to pursue other interests. Probably biggest amongst those interests is work I do with the Performance Sport Compact Auto group, as both a car owner, and a photographer.

I have always had an interest in print/cut media but never had the push to really consider it until about a year ago.....

Last Feb I decided to out for my first ski trip of the season as when I looked out the door the weather was beautiful. So I headed up North but as I got closer to the hill ( and out in the middle of nowhere ) driving through farm land I ended up in a wind storm. THe blowing snow coming across the fields caused a white out. There was a whole line of cars in front of me doing about 20km/hr with their hazard lights on, so I followed suit and did the same. Unfortunatly, I was that last person in line. :(

Well as we all know, SUV's are all terrain vehicles, and as such they do not have to drive sensibly in bad weather, well, at least thats what this one driver thought. A full sized Dodge Truck was traveling at least 80-90km/hr and had no chance to slow down by the time he saw me and hit me from behind, crushng the back end of my car and putting me off the road. My car had been totaled, the back end smashed apart, thankfuly the skiis/poles were pinched in the wreckage and not pushed forward into me.

I was able to get out of the car and walk, thinking I was fine.... I was not. Within hours, I was unable to move my back or neck and was in incredible pain. 3 months off the job and countless hours of physiotherapy followed.

So where is this all going you are asking?

Well, even though I am back working on the Ambulance, I am in daily pain, and I do not plan on carrying overweight heart attack patients down flights of stairs for the next 30 years. So I finally have made the decision to start working my way into the business.

I do alot of work as it is with the local automotive community and plan on working part time at the moment doing Decals, signs, and banners for car owners, and clubs, I'll also this year or next start to offer wraps, not printed wraps, but straight one colour vinyl, to "2-tone" the car. ( this is getting big around here )

I plan on taking my time, honing my skills and building my reputation to the point where I can open a bigger shop full time, and bring on others.

My personal car will be my canvas for alot of my work and tests, so you'll see it here quite a bit, its quite noticable ( Lowered AUDI A3 Hatchback, Bright RED & Black )

So here's to you folks :beer, hope you dont mind my questions when they arise, I look forward to hearing from you.

Kevin
Stuck On Media

R08

Welcome fellow Canadian!
Good luck with your venture.

Where in Ontario are you?

R08

I am in Newmarket

Newmarket...

That's the sunny south for us!

I see you're taking this venture reasonably slow... that's good. Some think they can learn this in an afternoon.

Keep at it and treat it like a profession.. you'll do well.

I'm about 2 hrs west of Sudbury.

Bulldog1929

Welcome from SE Ohio. The rivers and cricks are basically runnin' amuck. The ducks,geese and fishies are doing great- it's us huminoids that are all wet:biggrin:
Mike