• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from Texas

ukads

Hello, everyone and thanks for the great resource here...as a geek, I've seen a ton of communities online and this one is certainly very helpful from all I've read while lurking. Now I'm hoping that it can help us a little bit with a recommendation or two.

We are a web/branding/design company and we also own a collegiate league baseball team. In the past, we were strictly a digital media/branding company but that changed when we started carrying some of our site designs into print collateral and small posters (Epson 3800). The baseball team needs tons of large vinyl signage and, with our design folks, the other teams in the league started needing things, too.

We made an agreement with a local business to use their Mutah Falcon Jr Outdoor 38" printer with flexiPrint. That worked okay at first, but the printer is failing and, honestly, we spend too much time there...so we're looking to jump into the large format printer/plotter arena. The part of our company that does the printwork is small, so our "jump" needs to be into the shallow end of the pool, if you will.

I would love to hear what recommendations people would have for machines that can handle outdoor rolled vinyl with a width of at least 36" and, if possible, that can use photoshop/illustrator directly. We are not currently cutting any vinyl shapes, just standard banners, but the cutter might be useful later. As an FYI, as the technology guy here, I have a good feeling the prices will mean we have to buy used, if that matters.

Last edited:

ukads

Anyone have suggestions on that printer for us? With the other down for the count, we're going to have to purchase one fairly soon.

Thanks in advance!

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding Signs 101 & people.

Has no idea for printer .. suggest go back through archives, study current new ones that would work for you, also subbing printing is a very good option, till you understand the learning curve of printers etc. better

At $20,000 start up cost how ever you look at it new or used, learning carries more weight.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK

If you plan on have the printer set idol for a week or more, you will find the cost of maintenance will be pretty high. Its better to have someone else do your printing until you have a steady flow of prints to do.

Ditchmiester

ukads

if you are looking used you can try globalgarage.net they have a bunch of used solvent and eco solvent printers. I have been looking for used printers too and it can be very daunting I know but the best bet is to find a local dealer I'm sure one of the merchant members on here would be glad to help you out and ask them as many questions as possible and go take a look at the printers to find out even more about what it takes to run and maintain one. Hope this helps.

Also welcome from IL.

Slamboni

Yo from Austin! I am having a good experience so far with the HP L26500 Latex printer. It goes to 61" and we print a ton of exterior signs on it. hardy inks that cure quick and don't seem to need lamination. Decent mesh and perf profiles. Have printed plenty of good banner material for pop ups and trade show graphics.

Hicalibersigns

You don't mention a budget, but we have an HP 25500. If you are going to leave the printer idle for days at a time then this is the machine you want. We have a 60" unit, but they also have a 42" model.

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
Welcome from California.

You can always see if you can get that Mutoh Falcon Jr serviced but from my knowledge that is a older model. You may want to look into a Mutoh Value Jet 1324 which is a 54" model. You can also go for an older model to save significantly aka Mutoh Valuejet 1304