• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from Yuma, AZ

Mbookamer

I have experience in construction and woodworking beginning when I helped build our family home in the 3rd grade. As a third generation carpenter, I was introduced to wood carving and sign design just after high school by a mentor - a sign carver/graphic artist and now web designer in Central Pa.

As a job superintendant for a small construction company I developed my love of wood carving and developed an interest in fine woodworking. When the new owner of our company ran out of money after a year, I struck out on my own building cabinets and furniture starting with my former employer's clients.

My business was a success in that it made a profit and developed a loyal and happy clientele. After several years it became apparent that I was not ideally suited to running a business at the scale that I had grown it to and was much more comfortable in the days when I did smaller, quicker turnover projects like signs, plaques, carvings, etc. This realization, and the fact that were planning to sell our house, timed out well for an opportunity to play out our dream of travel nursing with my wife and daughter. I was to use this time being a stay at home dad to figure out what I wanted to be when I grow up.

After two years of circling the country, we settled in Yuma Arizona. My oldest is now in kindergarten and her little brother was just born in September.

When I started a business in central PA, I did not consider the sign business for two big reasons. I had experience, and an eager client base ready and waiting for me to work for them. The other reason was that although he would never have openly objected, I did not feel right starting a business and competing with my mentor.

With a baby at home again, I am again looking for a business that I can run out of a small home based shop, that will have flexible hours, and allow me the chance to do something that I love and flex my artistic muscles again. I am also really looking forward to the the satisfaction that comes with giving my clients what they want and need!

My current potential target clientele centers on the large winter visitor population of Yuma. I would like to cut my teeth on hand carved house signs and "camper signs". Once I am more experienced with professional layout, lettering, and the sign business in general, I would hope to expand into business signs, home division signs, municipal signs etc.

Currently I am considering names for my business and researching as much as I can. What brought me here was a google search on software. I am immediately looking for several things that those more experience here may be able to help me with.

I intend for my main product to be hand crafted signs. My signature style will be Cape Cod, hand carved gold leafed and painted signs. I am not currently interested in cnc signage. I think that there are some amazing examples of that out there, and plenty in my own town, but that is not the niche that I want to "carve" out here. (pardon the pun!) Someday I may invest in a machine if that's where my business grows, but for now, I just love the experience of the hand work, the admiration of my clients, and the experience to teach others a dying craft.

As soon as I am done posting this, I will begin searching these forums (if I can find the search feature) for information on what design software I need. I also will be trying to find what resources and recommendations there are for suppliers of HDU, gilding supplies, lettering enamel, and general suggestions and information regarding my situation.

I have found supplies online for all but the HDU, but I am not sure what is a "good" price, and I am still waiting to receive pricing info for sign foam and precision board from "local" vendors.

This looks like a good forum, so I just wanted to say "hi" and I look forward to the experience!

Oh, and one more thing about me that you may not know. I tend to get a little long winded. That's why I kept my intro so short! :Oops:

Happy Holidays! - Or Merry Christmas if you prefer!