Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hello new member question concerning effects

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by etcher1, Mar 23, 2010.

1. etcher1

etcher1 New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    hello folks
    imworking on a design for a window graphic (i do sandblasting)
    so im doing a rather complex pattern of a japanese maple branch on top of a lattice work background, now my issue is i dont want to cut the lines under the leaves (lattice work) i have attempted to use the remove overlap and im getting no were fast, im i missing something , ive grouped , ungrouped combined uncombined ect ect and i just cant seem to get it to work up until recently i would hand cut most of my work if it was to complex ie. overlaying patern on pattern as i mentioned i dont want to cut anything under the top design (tree branch) oh and ive moved the stuff i want to remove to the back of the page and the maple to the front , and..... nada!:banghead:
    so frustration is high but i know ther has to be a work around or im doing something *** backward
    any help for a newbe on this would be great
    thanks in advance

2. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Hi new member.
    One way to do this in a single step is to select all your objects and give them a single color.
    In the Advanced tab of the "Cut/Plot" window that pops up when you hit send from Flexi check the box for "Auto-weld".
    All of the overlapping cut lines should not cut.
    I'd test this on a small sample section - it might not work correctly on really complex overlapping objects.

wayne k
    guam usa

3. etcher1

etcher1 New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    thanks ill give that a try and let you know
    not seeming to have to much luck wayne , but heres the deal will it show whats going to get cut in the panel preview window as im still seeing all the lines

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  4. Stealth Ryder

Stealth Ryder Very Active Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Texas
    Welcome

5. etcher1

etcher1 New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    no luck

any othere ideas it still cut all the lines:covereyes:

6. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    How about plan B?
    Select all objects
    Effects > Contour Cut - offset = 0(zero) select "with holes" - apply
    Effects > Separate contour cut
    Ungroup (with contour group still selected)
    Arrange > Contour Cut > Release contour cut (with contour objects still selected)

Should be cut ready with no overlaps.
    Seems overly complicated but if the regular inline/outline, weld, or compound will not work - this might.

wayne k
    guam usa

7. etcher1

etcher1 New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    im giveing that a shot ... stay tuned
    thanks by the way my heads getting sore from banging it on my desk

8. etcher1

etcher1 New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    say if this dosent work perhapes i could email it to you and you could have a look , not asking you to fixit but you seem to know your stuff perhapes you could see what my issue is btw im running 8.5v1

9. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    OK
    I can check it out on 8.6 - the testing I did was on 7.6

wayne k
    guam usa

10. etcher1

etcher1 New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    next question would be how do i send you the file?

11. etcher1

etcher1 New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    never mind figured the email part out at least, lol
    seems i cant realease the compond its still grayed out , so ill send you the file with the original and the edit ver. im working on now perhapes you could have a look at it and see what i fobard up

12. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    OK lets see what you have - send it.

Release won't work on a group of contour cuts - Flexi creates these if parts of your original objects that you used the contour cut command on don't overlap each other - if that makes any sense.

wayne k
    guam usa

13. etcher1

etcher1 New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    well sort of im following along as best i can , ive had flexi for a few years know and only in the last year have i really been trying to work it into my life so i can have one :) sure looked like they over lap to me

14. etcher1

etcher1 New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    ok i redid the hole thing as i mentioned and this time i got it to release the contour cut but im still seeing the lattice