Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello to all the cheap people and not-so cheap too!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CheapSignZ, Mar 25, 2005.

1. CheapSignZ

CheapSignZ New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Hi,
    My specialty is coroplast, polystyrene and magnetic signs, plus banners. I used to do magnetic signs, but I find the prices were driven to low as of late. I'm cheap, I'm not insane... I had a customer print out a web page saying the company makes magnetic signs for $9.99 a pair, one color or $12.99 a pair for two colors, 12x24. Thanks to the new $7.70 flat rate priority mail boxes, they will ship up to 5 pairs for a mere $8.00!
    It's just nnot worth the time and effort... my calculations have my magnetic costs around $3.25 a pair using the cheapest stuff I can buy. I can't work for $7 an hour, even though there are days...
    Anyhow my main reason coming here is to network with people I can outsource work to. I have a i9100 13x19" bubblejet printer and a 24" roland plotter. I've had limited success with a roll of Ameriban's Jexar 6mil water fast matte white vinyl cut down to fit into this printer (12x18 sheets). I'd love to have a real inkjet plotter, but funds are tight at the moment, so I am looking for a source to do this sort of thing for me.
    Thanks in advance....

Tags:
  2. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    $10/pair!!!! Can't imagine working for LESS than minimum wage - no way, no how. Minimum wage here in WA state is $7.35/hr. What kind of moron produces stuff for free!? Just kills the rest of us trying to produce quality high-value CUSTOM work.

3. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    What are you asking? Are you looking for an out source to make really cheap stuff? Sure, I'll work for a buck an hour to make a set of $2.00 magnetics!!!!!!!!!

Guess I'm not really sure what you are up to.

4. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

well...iam old and i can see a ruse comin from a mile away....and i think thats what this is....somebody wantin to pull our chain.....as for me this is only comment ill make.

5. THATgirl

THATgirl Very Active Member

Sep 16, 2003
    ummmm did you slide in from letterville??

6. CheapSignZ

CheapSignZ New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    I'm so sorry! I don't want anyone to do magnetics for me... I'm sorry if that was what it seems like. I just was venting a page printed by a customer asking me to match "give away" prices. The customer needed 4 pairs of signs, and basically was waving a $50 under my nose because some sign whore is out there doing it for nothing. If it is any consolation I do 12x18's for $39.99 a pair and 12x24's for $49.99 a pair. I get $10 for a 2nd color. As I said "I'm cheap, I'm not insane". I told him he should order off the web and hit the bricks. I have a reputation for cheap, but I have my limits. I'll turn down ridiculous offers like that.
    What I do need is someone can print and often times contour cut jobs I can't do myself. I would NEVER dictate what you should charge me! I would ask what you charge and based on that rate, if it works in my budget, we're doing business. There is no tricks or ruse. I'm cheap and I don't deny it, but I'm not going to pimp someone else.

7. jimdes

jimdes Active Member

Dec 10, 2003
  8. Dave Drane

Dave Drane Very Active Member

Sep 24, 2003
    ummmm did you slide in from letterville??

Be careful Cheryl, there's some here that will jump on you!! :peace!:

9. THATgirl

THATgirl Very Active Member

Sep 16, 2003
    ha this place is a refreshing change Dave. It isn't like letterville one bit.

10. Scubadog

Scubadog Member

Jan 13, 2005
    See if you can get the guys information. I could order from him and sell at my regular price and still make good money with out having to do the work.:wine-smi:
    Then I can set back and make the $$$.

11. cvg4u.com

cvg4u.com New Member

Mar 22, 2005
    I was just thinking that! Jeez for that price I can understand why you would 'throw in the towel' on magnetics. I never get orders for them myself now I know why that probably is. I usually end up getting folks who want your typical decal (calvin whizzin on something) but they want it removable so they ask for it on a magnet. I just add a couple bucks for the cost to my normal charge for a decal, unless they want it contour cut, then a bit more.

For a small nobody guy like me, the money is in lettering and install, and the occasional giant banner. I don't expect I'll ever be in a 'shop'; but I'm ok with sellin decals and stuff. Its fun and rewarding when you look at what you've created.

Well thats my two cents (all I could spare)!

12. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

if you want to sell your stuff cheap go ahead...it called workin hard for NO MONEY! i get $70 a set for 12" x 24" magnetics!!! i get $75-100 for basic 2 doors in vinyl. you keep sellin cheap....how bout if you make my magnets for $39.95 and ill sell em at $70.....and i dont have anything in them.....heheheheheheh.
    all iam sayin is get SMART...gas is $2 a gallon, sheet of aluminum is $54.00 roll of magnetic 25 ft is $70....vinyl just took a jump in price....yep you keep sellin your stuff cheap...see where your bank account goes.

13. Arlo Kalon 2.0

Arlo Kalon 2.0 Very Active Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Reno, TX
    How wild... I took an order on Saturday no less for a pair of 12x24 magnetics. It is only a name & ph. number in 1 color. I quoted $85.00 to get rid of 'em (ya know - seein' as how everyone feels a need to just give this type of work away for some insane reason). I figured they were already quoted a lowball price. Now, I feel the heat to get them done BEFORE they see what a ripoff I am! (BTW - before the franchise sign boom, I was getting over a hundred bucks a pair for mags 23 years ago - just for some perspective. Wonder how many other things have dropped that far in price... NOTHING I BUY! Seriously, somebody tell me what is wrong with these FOOLS who part with their work for NO PROFIT AT ALL!!!

14. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Visions of volume ...

Bad at math ...

$10 an hour is a goal worth pursuing ...

15. theroq

theroq Member

Sep 28, 2004
    My mags go for $69.00 for 12 x 18 one color/ adding $10.00 for second color.
    12x24 sells for $79.00 and adding $10.00 for second color as well.

And this is with customer giving me a basic layout their on logo on disk.

Anything that needs Edge printing goes for $150.00 to start...and up fromt here.

I was selling them cheaper and after a few were made, I realized that my time and effort of designing, changing colors on plotter, weeding, taping, and laying out was not worth what i was getting in return.

Pre-cut quality magnet sells for $5.00 x 2 = 10.00
    Design time 1 hour minimum (w/ no time loss)= 35.00
    Transfer tape for job = 8.00
    vinyl using quality stuff including waste = 5.00

Total cost for making one set of mags more or less.
    ---------------------
    $58.00 for one set.

This doesn't include the time that's wasted waiting for customer to approve, come back and pay the balance.... I always take deposits, showing how to maintain them etc.

And my prices are still cheap, but I need to compete......... So who makes them cheap and still makes a buck?

Just my two cents.

16. jimdes

jimdes Active Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Eight Bucks For Transfer Tape . . . . Holy $#!t THAT'S MORE THAN THE VINYL DUDE!!!