• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help a beginner out with dry-erase material?

bwsaw

Hey guys, new poster after lurking for a while. I am looking for a material that best meets my needs. Before I list them, please know that I have done by best to do my own research in and outside this forum, and am aware of the different types and suppliers. However, I found that a lot of the information that's easy to find comes from the suppliers themselves, and therefore thought it best to get some unbiased and professional opinions. Just so you guys know I'm not taking the easy way out by making a thread :)

I am looking for a white, opaque dry-erase material. If I understand terminology correctly, I don’t want a separate clear laminate that goes over the top of something. I understand that OPP vinyl is very common but there are other options, and that vinyl specifically for dry-erase may not be necessary. In addition, I am looking for something that is:

1. Low tack. I will be applying these flat to desks. I want them to be adhesive enough to not get “ruffled” or moved through normal desk use, but still be able to be removed without any permanent marking on the desks. I first considered vinyl cling film but I suspect this may not be adhesive enough.
  2. No ghosting. These will be written on, erased, rewritten on frequently. It won’t be a dry-erase that is changed a couple times a month.
  3. Long lasting. Both in terms of adhesiveness and the quality.
Thank you guys very much! If you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

edit: another basic question. If I need each vinyl sheet to be cut to a custom size, is that something the supplier would do? Or would I have to outsource that.

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have some other questions but I don’t want to spam up the boards. If someone could offer to answer a few via PM or something that would also be helpful :)

I don't have any answers to your questions but the whole idea of a forum is to post, reply and be helpful. It runs on Q & A and good answers are wasted in PMs.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Fellers has a EZ Erase dry erase vinyl that should work for you. Beyond that, I would just use any Dry Erase laminate on your choice of white vinyl....maybe 3M IJ40 or IJ60, both removable and available with Comply adhesive for easy install.

bwsaw

Fellers has a EZ Erase dry erase vinyl that should work for you. Beyond that, I would just use any Dry Erase laminate on your choice of white vinyl....maybe 3M IJ40 or IJ60, both removable and available with Comply adhesive for easy install.

The one by Rtape? I have read good things about that one, highly considering it although I imagine it isn't cheap. I also like the look of the 3m comply adhesive, Are there advantages to buying separate laminate and vinyl? Would laminating the vinyl myself add a step I would have to outsource?

shoresigns

No ghosting. These will be written on, erased, rewritten on frequently. It won’t be a dry-erase that is changed a couple times a month.

In my experience, dry erase "ghosting" is something that happens when you write something and leave it for a long time. I don't think you'll have as much of an issue if you're frequently erasing and rewriting.

Also I've found that when ghosting does occur, it can still be removed cleanly by using a stronger cleaning product.

gabagoo

Your best off to print on a removable adhesive vinyl (3ml)...the adhesive is removable without any glue residue for up to 1 year, then it is permanent....I'm pretty sure general formulations has the stuff. Then you laminate with a dry erase laminate such as Seal... Oh and most importantly.... Make sure your client does not use Expo markers..... I was told by someone who does a lot of dry erase boards that Expo seem to stain the laminates and even porcelain boards...Not sure if it true, but why take chances.

bwsaw

Your best off to print on a removable adhesive vinyl (3ml)...the adhesive is removable without any glue residue for up to 1 year, then it is permanent....I'm pretty sure general formulations has the stuff. Then you laminate with a dry erase laminate such as Seal... Oh and most importantly.... Make sure your client does not use Expo markers..... I was told by someone who does a lot of dry erase boards that Expo seem to stain the laminates and even porcelain boards...Not sure if it true, but why take chances.

For my application, the vinyl would be attached for more than a year. Hopefully there's something that that can stay adhered for extended (1+ years) of time and still be removable?

JoeBoomer

R-Tape stuff works well, but it sucks to remove. It is actually a metal foil (if I remember correctly). My vote is for white low-tac vinyl w/ dry-erase laminate.

You would laminate the vinyl before you apply it to the desk. Therefore it is basically one piece when you apply it.

mark galoob

another way to go is to laminate regular white vinyl with regular laminate, and have your client use wet erase markers. these work great, leave no ghosting whatsoever, and will stay for years with no problems. the material is much less expensive than the dry erase material and seems easier to work with.

Out There

another way to go is to laminate regular white vinyl with regular laminate, and have your client use wet erase markers. these work great, leave no ghosting whatsoever, and will stay for years with no problems. the material is much less expensive than the dry erase material and seems easier to work with.

What he said.

That's what I've done with a few coffee shop A- boards, works great

bwsaw

I talked to a local sign shop today who said he never laminates vinyl until the vinyl is already applied to the substrate. Is this recommended? I need the vinyl laminated before it is applied.

bwsaw

Thanks Pat, the information you provided is extremely helpful to me. I've made a shortlist of substrates and laminates, does anyone know of any specific high quality dry-erase laminates that work well with the big squeegee? I am concerned that a lot of the laminates on my list apparently have a very thin backing.