• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help a non-I.T. guy get his plotter connected

JgS

I recently got a Bren 525 cutter and I can't get it connected to my computer. Currently I am trying to run it on a computer running XP since that is the only tower I have that has a serial port. (the cutter only has serial and parallel connections). I also have a tower running windows 7 and a usb to serial if yo think that would work better. Currently I am using the winline drive since that is what Bern recommended. But I am open to other drivers.

Currently I have the port set to LPT1. When I try to print from Illustrator I get an "out of paper" message. The cutter does nothing.

JgS

I have Flexi 10 and a driver from winline. Flexi doesn't have an option for Bren.

J Hill Designs

try all the different com ports avail. I think you can go into device manager and see what ports are being used by what...

gpgl / all com ports
hpgl / all com ports

thats all I got

yahhoo123

porting problem

try both com1 AND com2...also you said you have a usb to serial cord? then install the software for it and again try the usb001 and usb002 etc....I hope your cutter is loaded and in the ready status while you are trying this?

yahhoo123

win 7

I think it has to be win7 ultimate to go that route...the nice thing there is that the usb to serial will install automatically...done it many many times...ran a 25 y.o. rolaand Camm-1 that way and a 23 yo Graphtec that way.

JgS

I did call Bren. They can't offer me customer service since I didn't buy it from them. But they did send me the manuals and direct me to winline for the driver.

JgS

Finlay got it working. Turns out the cutter wouldn't accept a 9pin to 25pin serial conversion. I got it running on a parallel connection. It's a nice cutter: quiet, fast, and so far pretty accurate. But I haven't tried to see how it tracks on anything over 6' yet. And, thank you J Hill. It was the generic HPGL driver.

Attachments

• small text.JPG
    small text.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 98