• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help - Big Ink Spill!

cmcerniglia

We just had a bunch of waste ink spill on our linoleum... and I do mean A LOT. What's the best way to clean this up? It's Mimaki SS2 ink for our JV-3.

artbot

first cat litter for soaking up. then a mild solvent.... use some acetone, it is the mildest and quickest to evaporate. if it's too aggressive, use xylol.

lol i've seen spills where ink literally has to be shovelled into containers (55 gallons (black) of the stuff) or another bad one where a bulk ink system sprouted a very big leak onto very light colored carpet...messy. so don't worry and thankfully you are on a solid surface. get the bulk up, then start wiping with a mild solvent..get lots of rags or paper towels...and again be thankful you are on a solid surface.

cmcerniglia

Any suggestions for a mild solvent? We have the solvent that we use to clean the printer heads and capping station, but I was under the impression that the stuff would be just as nasty on the linoleum as the waste ink itself.

And yes, thank God for a solid surface.

artbot

the cleaning solution is made of glycol ether (butyl cellosolve) and acetone. it's considered very very mild (the acetone is only about 15%). i'd just use xylol. it evaporates really slow and will cut the ink.