• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help.. Converting a file from CS6 to CS5

bikecomedy

Need help changing a file to a legacy version of CS I think the new file is in the Cloud version or CS6 and I need to be able to open it in CS5.

Since I am unable to load the file here pm me and I'll send it?

Thanks

JBusch260

I've sometimes had some luck placing the newer files into the artboard. Would the Place option help you?

TammieH

The customer or whomever supplied the art can't save it down for you?
We always go back to the customer first, although I realize some haven't a clue.

MikePro

soooo aggrivating. My recently purchased/upgraded non-cloud CS6 was unable to open and trying to place the file into CS6 showed-up as a rasterized image...
suck it, Adobe, for taking my $1500 and rendering my software that much less-useful in an attempt to get me on the subscription plan. :frustrated:

however, Adobe Acrobat Pro to the rescue!
opened, watermark'd, flattener preview to convert to outlines, and BAM... vectored file in just a few steps.
file sent & hoping its what you're looking for... cause I'm outta ideas, and almost outta thinkin'-juice.:toasting:

synergy_jim

I have the CC suite. I'll save it back for you. pm me an email and I'll send you one to reply to….

btw…. I know you all hate adobe, but the CC suite is where it's at.

bikecomedy

I did get one person so far to open the file. A BIG THANK YOU MIKEPRO!!!

They were able to open it the same as me in photoshop. Still not clear if it's CC or if the designer sent the client a raster saved as a eps. Would be interested in finding out.

Very clever..lol. just the designer working for someone else on this one so would have gladly asked the client to shoot me a legacy copy...I did ask the primary a few weeks ago.. but hey I never thought of handing over a raster as a eps file to a client.... some folks are just darn clever in a nasty mean kinda way.

Any way the project is getting down to crunch and I keep getting handed a raster and 72 dpi at 1,000kb

So yes if I will PM you synergy_jim to give it a shot on CC if you don't mind. It will put to rest my suspicions about it being a raster in a eps file.

Thanks to all who responded... Really appreciate Sign101 members.

bikecomedy

Turns out placing the file works. Super "BIG THANKS" JBusch260

I am so suspicious. :ROFLMAO: When it was my lack of knowledge all along. Thanks everyone.

DesireeM

If I receive an Adobe Cs file that I can't open because it's a newer version I usually will just right-click on the file and choose the "Convert to Adobe PDF" option (this only works if you have Adobe Acrobat installed). The file will open as a pdf which you can save to your desktop.

Then right-click on the newly created pdf and choose "Open with" adobe illustrator or photoshop.

bikecomedy

Thanks for the help...This is what makes Signs101 the best sign forum in the known universe!!

synergy_jim
JBusch260
TammieH
MikePro
DesireeM

All outstanding members of Signs101 in my book!!

THANK YOU ALL

Interesting...I just tried placing a CS6 image into CS5 to see if it worked. While it did give me the image, I can't ungroup it or do anything with it. Is this the norm when placing a newer version?

JBusch260

Interesting...I just tried placing a CS6 image into CS5 to see if it worked. While it did give me the image, I can't ungroup it or do anything with it. Is this the norm when placing a newer version?

It can be tricky. Really depends how the other one was set up. It's been a bit since I've had to do it. Would expanding help? Try reading through the options on the Place menu. If not, drop the layers down and see if anything can be done with that. Sorry!

Nope, expanding isn't an option. No layers either. It's like it's become a bitmap, a very crisp bitmap. I was just testing to see if placing worked, I already had the client send me a CS5 version. Just curious if that was the norm or not. I'll try placing the next CS6 version I get.