• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP: Edge curl on wall wrap

signscharlotte

I recently installed several wall wraps using 3m 3552 on painted drywall. I was only the installer on this job and received vinyl that appeared to have been trimmed before it had time to out gas and the graphics were to size with extra material for trimming. I had issues with the edge adhering properly. The customer needs some touchups done, but I'm not sure what I should do. The graphics were to be used for 3 months and be 100% removable without damage. If I use primer I can fix the problem but it will most likely cause damage when removed. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Not sure there is a lot you can do that won't damage the wall during removal. If the adhesive hasn't been compromised you might be able to heat the edges and use a RollePro.

DigiPrinter

I was going to suggest doing a 1/4" cut back and then edge taping but you might leave a score mark in the cut back.....is there a way to edge tape as is?

DoubleDown

easy, explain to the customer the issue and that the vinyl you received was not printed/finished properly and therefore the edges are not adhering to the wall like it should. Tell them the only way you can fix it is with clear silicone or clear edge tape but there is a chance it will pull up paint in the end. There really isn't anything else you can do since the solvents have eaten away at the adhesive.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's kinda tough after something fails to THEN say you did the best you could under the circumstances and then expect a customer to let you screw up their walls when no one said a thing up front. This is a perfect example of doing something and waiting til the proverbial crap hit's the fan.

You hafta be upfront with your customers, especially when you are only a piece of the puzzle. I get flack from my guys, because I call out everything, and they think it's overkill. My answer is usually the same..... I don't like being blindsided. I pay the bills, so let me know whenever you see something wrong, no matter how small or insignificant it might seem to you.

Placing blame all around will get you nowhere. In fact, it will probably hurt you in the long run, if you say... they did this and they did that................ but, I put it up anyway, knowing full well it was wrong.

MikePro

1) does the wall have any texture to it?
2) primer94 is NOT the fix for this
3) 3551 is temporary by nature of the product, if they don't like that it won't stay up longer then they should have upgraded their material.

if the answer to #1 is "yes", then you should have known better. Calendared vinyl + textured wall surfaces don't mix.