• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help, ERR41 MOTOR Y Mimaki JV2-160

Skye Graphics

Hi people, message ERR41 MOTOR Y ON lcd screen I did replace cartridges, print head, dampers and still have the same message after all that, the manual doesn't help much any advise?:frustrated:

ecoleejr

I just had a UJV160 installed and we had the same message 2 days after install. It was discovered that the line between the pump and the dampers was not getting enough suction and the filter was clogged. Hope this helps.

I just had a UJV160 installed and we had the same message 2 days after install. It was discovered that the line between the pump and the dampers was not getting enough suction and the filter was clogged. Hope this helps.

Yikes! I guess Mimaki has still got some work to do on mapping those error codes on the UJV so they show up in the right place! "Error 41" indicates that the Y-Motor (the one that moves the Carriage) is drawing excessive current should have nothing to do with anything ink related.

Skye, it's likely that something is restricting the movement of the Head Carriage. Power-off the machine and try moving the Carriage back and forth by hand to see if it feels stiff or snags anywhere. It might be that your Carriage rail just needs cleaning and lubricating although given the vintage of your machine it is also possible that the motor is simply on it's way out.

Don't use WD-40 as it's more for unseizing things than actually lubricating. A light-weight oil is best but make sure to clean the rail thoroughly first.

GARY CULY

LABELLE small scale train oil....has a nice long metal tube for gettin in there too. made for metal to brass or other furrus[sp,meaning?] materials.

Last edited:

genericname

Gary, have you tried sewing machine oil at any point? I'm just wondering what the performance is like compared to what you're currently using.

Sorry to be a :thread!

GB2

Old Member
I'd be very hesitent to put oil on those rails. There is a bicyle chain lubricant that is not an oil that might work good. I think it has a teflon base. Mimaki specifies in their instructions that there is a product available from them to lubricate those rails but I have not found a supplier who knows anything about that.

GB2

Old Member
OK, I just got off the phone with Mimaki and they suggest obtaining part #SPC-0364 from your dealer, which is the proper lubricant for the Y axis rails.

Mimaki Mama

Sewing machine oil

DO not clean them with ALcohol or Acetone, or any other "drying" liquid. Take a soft cloth or use one of the "cleaning swabs" to wipe the excess dirt build up. Then put sewing machine oil on a clean swab and run it down the top and bottom of each of the carriage rails. It should be done about once a week when using the printer regularly. You can buy it at Joann Fabrics or any specialty sewing store.

I've been doing that for 5 years and I've never had a problem or a seizure on the rails. It was recommended by the dealer technician when the printer was installed. :thumb:

genericname

I'm with you on that one, Mama.

Our tech told us to clean the rails with solvent, then alcohol, and THEN oil it. Our Y errors were an annoyance prior to that, but were an absolute nightmare after. Now I just clean the sludge off of there with a dry lint-free cloth, and oil it afterward. Since removing the solvent and alcohol from the equation, our printing has been almost entirely error free.

It's irritating that even the techs can't seem to remain consistent on something like this; for the most part, we still have to figure these things out for ourselves.

astro8

Is it solvent? I ran jv2 Resolves's for years printed miles of media on them...clean the rail (you have to get your fingers right up around the circumference, gunk accumulates on the top of the round rails) with the same solvent you clean the heads with then oil or even grease the rails. Check the rail isn't loose particularly near the capping station end. Check the rails are level and square, parallel and haven't banana'd for want of a better term. Push the head along by hand and feel for tight spots.

You'll know it's about to bind up when you here a faint clicking sound...that's the gunk getting between the rail and the bearing.