• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

help finding a key

IKD

I'm looking for a skeleton key to match someone's logo its fairly intricate in design anybody know where I can come across a collection of keys?

Shovelhead

I have a great idea!!!

do a GOOGLE search for the exact key that you need
and spend five minutes and draw it yourself!!!
Brilliant!!!
:rolleyes:

IKD

Splendid idea man wish I would've thought of that....oh wait couldn't find it thought maybe somebody could help a new guy find clip art sites. Could've swore thats what this forum was about.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I think the point there is that figuring out where a piece of clipart might have come from is exponentially more unlikely than something like an ID of a typeface where to total is measured in tens of thousands as against tens of millions. Your search for an identical piece of art was thus not likely to meet with success from the beginning. Even a successful search would likely take longer than to just sit down and redraw the artwork.

While a purpose of our forum is to be helpful it is also to communicate ideas and ways of doing things. this forum has, if nothing else, served to make the point that Shovelhead has made. That being the notion that often in this business the quickest way to complete the job is to just sit down and do the work.

No one means to offend you by making that point. It may have been blunt but the point was nonetheless valid.

LaserImage

I think the point there is that figuring out where a piece of clipart might have come from is exponentially more unlikely than something like an ID of a typeface where to total is measured in tens of thousands as against tens of millions. Your search for an identical piece of art was thus not likely to meet with success from the beginning. Even a successful search would likely take longer than to just sit down and redraw the artwork.

While a purpose of our forum is to be helpful it is also to communicate ideas and ways of doing things. this forum has, if nothing else, served to make the point that Shovelhead has made. That being the notion that often in this business the quickest way to complete the job is to just sit down and do the work.

No one means to offend you by making that point. It may have been blunt but the point was nonetheless valid.

That's just plain BS. What does it hurt to ask a simple question? What if someone here had done exactly what you suggested and now the OP could benefit from that? Isn't that why we are here, to help and be helped by other's experiences? Granted, his question was pretty specific and not likely to be answered by anyone here, but what if it was? Why shouldn't he benefit by that and not get slammed for asking?

I guarantee you that almost every question asked here could be researched and answered all by ourselves, but that's not the point - why reinvent the wheel every time?

I joined here because I wanted to be able to share knowledge - give and take. I don't have much of it to give yet, but I will eventually. And with the knowledge I gain here I might actually be able to do that sooner rather than later.

There are forums out there that will actually ban people for replying "search for your answer, it's been answered many times before" instead of replying with an answer - there's a reason for that...

Gary

WVB

There are forums out there that will actually ban people for replying "search for your answer, it's been answered many times before" instead of replying with an answer - there's a reason for that...

Gary

The times that answer is given (by myself as well) that question has been asked how many times..? Its such a basic question that a simple "search" would give TONS of answers already given. Why do we have to constantly reiterate these answers..? So the answer to your question without using the "search" option would be Pure Laziness...

In any event not to be a pirate thread or change what this thread was originally intended for. How Shovelhead answered could have been more easy going - sure... But that is not his personality, for a lot of us who know him... The answer on the other hand be it his way or a more easy going way is the same as Fred pointed out..

It may have been blunt but the point was nonetheless valid.

LaserImage

"search" would give TONS of answers already given.

I get that... But, how many times have you searched for something relatively simple and ended up with hundreds of threads to search through only to find that they really have nothing to do with answering your question? I always start with a search and then ask a question if I don't find what I need.

It really takes no more time to answer a question than it does to give a reply like shovelhead did. If you don't have an answer, don't reply... <---this is for people like shovelhead that apparently have a "way with words"

Gary