• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help finding a PMS color that is close to a vinyl color

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Your Pantone color swatch thingy should have the cmyk values under it. Don't go by the program conversion. You'll have to go in and alter those values in order to get closer. We do this all the time. Create several squares, leave the first square at the exact pantone color then just alter the others a bit. Print all the squares and see where you get.

I use a macro in CoreLDraw that will label all the squares with the color values.

Correct Color

cboy808

How much would this cost if I'm in Hawaii?

The same as it would cost if you're in Seattle, or Tulsa, or London, or anywhere else. Daily rate plus travel, so the only difference would be the cost of getting me there.

But from what I understand of Hawaii, that's pretty true of everything. My understanding of Hawaii is that everything there is expensive because everything there has shipping cost to Hawaii factored into the cost.

So that would go for ink and materials you use that go into the trash chasing color as well. And the good news is you only need to ship me there once. You then get to use what I set up -- and it saves you money -- every single day.

Correct Color

Andy D,

How would this help Kottwitz-Graphics, when he's not sure what PMS # to assign?

Well, the person I was responding to with what you quoted wasn't Kottwitz-Graphics, it was myront.

However, if Kottwitz-Graphics was a client, and I was at his facility, what I'd do is just read a sample of
Avery Olive Green (900 supercast), SC 900-765-O into his RIP and give it a name. Then it'd be a named spot color just like any Pantone color.

Then, once I'd profiled his machine, and once the dots his RIP was creating not only matched what his printer actually prints, but the profile I made assured him of getting every single bit of his machine's capabilities on whatever media he was using, then one of two things would happen:

Either the color would be in gamut and he would hit it precisely. Or it would be out of gamut and he would get as close as is mathematically possible to it with that machine, media, ink combination.

So he'd still never have to print patches and chase color again.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Andy D,

Well, the person I was responding to with what you quoted wasn't Kottwitz-Graphics, it was myront.

However, if Kottwitz-Graphics was a client, and I was at his facility, what I'd do is just read a sample of
Avery Olive Green (900 supercast), SC 900-765-O into his RIP and give it a name. Then it'd be a named spot color just like any Pantone color.

Then, once I'd profiled his machine, and once the dots his RIP was creating not only matched what his printer actually prints, but the profile I made assured him of getting every single bit of his machine's capabilities on whatever media he was using, then one of two things would happen:

Either the color would be in gamut and he would hit it precisely. Or it would be out of gamut and he would get as close as is mathematically possible to it with that machine, media, ink combination.

So he'd still never have to print patches and chase color again.

Except I don't print, and don't want to. If I had a printer, I would print out a pms color swatch, and find a close match to the vinyl I have to use...

I order my printing from a national wholesale supplier, because I am not going to spend thousands on a machine and stress about color matching, which ink to use, and how to keep it running 24 hours a day to cover the cost....

So your posts here didn't help me at all. In fact all you did was use it as a platform to make a sales pitch, and not to me, but every one else on this board...