• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help fj52 converted to solvent

jonnyc

Could anybody please help out with a roland fj52 commercialy converted to run eps solvent ink i have just bought.The fj will be used in a home environment so i want to change to eco-sol max.Help with the following please
1 The firmware on the fj is v.4.1 do i need to update this
2 The software i have is easysign v4.5 in the printer setup on this software it does not list a fj52 converted is there another roland model a could use in the setup.I may buy flexisign 8.1 software i have seen for sale does anybody know if it is listed in there printer set and if not which model would i use, and is this a better software for the fj than my easysign 4.5
3 I have been on the roland site but been unable to find the profiles for the eco-sol max to match printer.

Many Thanks In advance For any info.
ps the fj was sold to me flushed with solvent

Last edited:
Hi Jonnyc,

The link Robert M provide may be your best choice... especially since they offer heaters that will fit your printer. However.... I must say that I cringe whenever I see an fj52 inked up with solvent based inks. My first worry would be profiles. The profiles you would have are for water based inks. Hopefully the fellows at www.solventprinterconversion.com will have custom made profiles. If not, maybe having the heaters will compensate for this??
Honestly... I would recommend looking for a used SP-300 or SP-540. You'll have far less trouble and be much happier with the print quality.
All of the above from personal experience. :)

jonnyc

has been converted

Hi thanks for the replys so far but the fj was professional converted in the past to run eps solvent ie heaters front and back pid controlled, solvent resistant dampers, capping station, pump, lines, etc.If anybody out there has profiles for this printer to run eco-sol max please help. Only just bought this printer so until finances allow i am stuck with it for awhile and will have to make the most of what i have bought thanks. john

FatCat

Dave (the owner) at solventprinterconversion.com is a very knowledgeable person regarding converting old Rolands to solvent/eco-solvent. He runs 2-3 older Rolands in his own print shop and also buys/sells/rebuilds/repairs them. He is a super guy and I've talked to him many times in the past. You will likely not find a more knowledgeable person.

optimiseprint

Hi, you don't have to, but the later 5.3 fw enables the 2 pass spit function like on the sc500 to help stop nozzle clogging. Also eco-sol max ink is selectable from the menu.

2 The software i have is easysign v4.5 in the printer setup on this software it does not list a fj52 converted is there another roland model a could use in the setup.I may buy flexisign 8.1 software i have seen for sale does anybody know if it is listed in there printer set and if not which model would i use, and is this a better software for the fj than my easysign 4.5

Look for resolve x21? or something. Even SC500, CJ500 etc. however it wont matter as they are basically the same apart from the cutting function.

3 I have been on the roland site but been unable to find the profiles for the eco-sol max to match printer.

that's because it was never supported. i think i may have some profiles for easysign but not sure. i definatly have esm cj/fj and colorchoice profiles.

let me know if you want them.

optimiseprint

Can't find the easysign profiles at the minute, i know i have created some so i will keep looking.

Here is a link to a few Metamark profiles that i created a while ago for colorchoice or flexisign.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gncwiocmimm

Add the density (.TRC) file using the option in the EDIT menu.

Add the profile (.ICC) using the add button next to output profiles.

MUST be 4 colour CMYK Output.

Choose Media "OTHER"

Select the corresponding density file eg MD5-100

Select the corresponding ICC File eg MD5-100.icc

differing results can be gained by altering the input profiles, if in doubt select DEFAULT for all.

jtksvm.jpg

sfr table hockey

I just fell off my chair....... I did not think you could use Color Choice to add made profiles. I did not know by selecting just CMYK it would let you add profiles. All the ones I made now show up. Now to just try some of them you linked to and see if they print any better. I now rarely use Color Choice but for others it may be a big deal.

What did you mean about the FW V 5.3 (I have 5.4 as latest) about the 2 pass spit function. My Fj 42 still runs waterbased but the CJ is converted.

To answer others Flexi will run the old Rolands and I have just been using old SCsol profiles and they work fine. I did need to make my own profiles to get accurate color. Just switched ink to Lyson 2000 and not all carts are switched but color seems to be ok with canned profiles. I will know better when all are switched out and can do some testing.

Thank you for the info on profiles in Color Choice....
Have you ever heard if the SC or CJ 500 units ever did an automatic cleaning when left for days? Mine never has so now I turn it off all the time when not in use.

Hi, you don't have to, but the later 5.3 fw enables the 2 pass spit function like on the sc500 to help stop nozzle clogging. Also eco-sol max ink is selectable from the menu.

Look for resolve x21? or something. Even SC500, CJ500 etc. however it wont matter as they are basically the same apart from the cutting function.

that's because it was never supported. i think i may have some profiles for easysign but not sure. i definatly have esm cj/fj and colorchoice profiles.

let me know if you want them.

jonnyc

thank you all for the help so far

Hi thank you all for the help so far, my head hurts a little less now sorry for repeating myself but if anybody has any info no matter how small pleas post it :thankyou:

optimiseprint

I just fell off my chair....... I did not think you could use Color Choice to add made profiles. I did not know by selecting just CMYK it would let you add profiles. All the ones I made now show up. Now to just try some of them you linked to and see if they print any better. I now rarely use Color Choice but for others it may be a big deal.

colorchoice was basically a scaled down version of flexi's photoprint. So if you profiled in photo print in theory the profiles created would be cross platform. I only ever had success with 4 colour, 6 colour was not possible if i remember right but it was a WHILE ago. I have profiled quite a few of these systems and have worked on the printers for years. you have to be careful making sure the density file matches up to the ICC when selected in the right tab.

What did you mean about the FW V 5.3 (I have 5.4 as latest) about the 2 pass spit function. My Fj 42 still runs waterbased but the CJ is converted.

OK, since 5.3 i think? there is the option to select eco sol max as the ink type. Also when enabled, the self cleaning function is set to every hour. The ink consumption for this is 0.00081cc (=0.000135cc x 6 cartridges) each time of flushing or 0.01944cc (=0.00081cc x 24 times) per day. This is done by altering SYSTEM SWITCH PAGE 3 bit # 7 and bit # 8 to [1] in the Service Mode. However you must enable the sleep function to any time apart from disable.

To answer others Flexi will run the old Rolands and I have just been using old SCsol profiles and they work fine. I did need to make my own profiles to get accurate color. Just switched ink to Lyson 2000 and not all carts are switched but color seems to be ok with canned profiles. I will know better when all are switched out and can do some testing.

Thank you for the info on profiles in Color Choice....
Have you ever heard if the SC or CJ 500 units ever did an automatic cleaning when left for days? Mine never has so now I turn it off all the time when not in use.

SEE ABOVE> PS dont shout at me if you screw things up!:smile: