• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help for a newbie with lots of questions!

shoprat

Hey guys great site you have here!! Well right down to business, I am very new to this whole sign making thing and I am trying to figure out Corel 12. I have a clip art that I would like to cut but I have only been able to plot outlined letters and shapes. I know the fact that the clip art had so many intracacies (sp?) doesnt help, but how do I fix it so I can have it cut out on vinyl?

Also can anyone recomend a good teaching movie for corel 12?

Another question is it possible to print on vinyl then cut it out all at once? If so how??

TIA!:Big Laugh:unclesam:

BTW I am plotting with a roland PC600

edit: here is the clip art
attachment.php

OldPaint

not to be harsh on you....but my question is ....why are you into this before you have the knowledge to proceed?
now i know youre askin HOW DO I....but some parts of this business require some COMPUTER SKILLS proir to working with a cutter. what you are trying to do..is a lot of work(A JPEG to line art) and you need a lot of other program knowledge other then COREL. THAT SAID.....i think youre best move for this job would be to CALL THE VECTOR DOCTOR..... as for learning corel i havent seen any videos.........requires a lot of "HANDS ON COREL" and reading.....to get really good with corel.....i got 13 years of workin corle....AND STILL DONT KNOW ALOT.....last question YES.....

shoprat

OldPaint said:
not to be harsh on you....but my question is ....why are you into this before you have the knowledge to proceed?
now i know youre askin HOW DO I....but some parts of this business require some COMPUTER SKILLS proir to working with a cutter. what you are trying to do..is a lot of work(A JPEG to line art) and you need a lot of other program knowledge other then COREL. THAT SAID.....i think youre best move for this job would be to CALL THE VECTOR DOCTOR..... as for learning corel i havent seen any videos.........requires a lot of "HANDS ON COREL" and reading.....to get really good with corel.....i got 13 years of workin corle....AND STILL DONT KNOW ALOT.....last question YES.....

Well I am not really into this as in I have a customer waiting I was trying to learn what my program can do. I do have other computer knowledge and I do prefer to learn hands on. I was under the impression from what I have read searching around on here that corel can trace pretty well so I thought that I could start with some kind of outline from there. I know I am a newb and all, but How do you suggest I learn???

williamson design

If you are looking to learn Corel via a teaching tool, I suggest going to your local library and seeing what they have for tutorials either on VHS or DVD. Our library out here carries some stuff in that subject.

Or you can try these:

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Section/Display&sid=1047024315119&gid=1047024331836&cid=1047024331882

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modListing.asp?vid=68

Most of the online tutorials cost money

Then there is the hands on method, it just takes time to learn some stuff.

Glen

iSign

shoprat said:
...How do you suggest I learn???

get a job at a sign shop would be my suggestion.

...too many people buy a cheap set-up & want to start making signs, but most of the knowledgable & successful sign professionals here have years, if not decades in this trade. Yes we all started as newbies & had to learn somewhere... so some of the younger crew think it's disrespectful to speak so much as a discouraging word to newbies... but buying the tools is far from paying your dues... & you need a lot more then you can get from a bulletin board.

Show us what you know & we'll offer constructive criticism... but if people come online & show us they don't know much of anything yet... well, in my opinion, they are asking to have that fact critiqued... so there you go.

This industry is probably loaded with professionals willing to train AND pay for you to make signs for their business... but this industry is also overloaded with newbies with plotters trying to skip a few years & jump to the front of the line trying to sell a job they haven't learned how to do yet.

Now, of course, we'll get cocky newbies (not you) chiming in how they think the "old farts" are just scared of losing work :rolleyes: ...not on your life... the work is out there, but it is a shame that garage hacks are offering substandard product at ridiculously low prices... then when the sign sucks or falls apart... the clients forget about going back to the hacks... but the don't seem to forget the new impression they end up with regarding how cheap signs should be.

MVIP

"but How do you suggest I learn???"

Shoprat,

What you are trying to do is convert a picture into a cuttable image. Although you may have prior experience with computers, most people aren't aware of what it takes to convert a file for use in sign making.

The first thing you need to understand and learn is that you need to convert these files into vectors. Vectors are simply lines that the plotter recognizes and can cut. These can be .eps or.ai files. I don't personally use corel for this, but I do know that corel trace is capable of this. You will spend many frustrating hours trying to perfect this step. There are people out there who will do this for a fee. I myself have used some of these services when just getting started.

As far as how you can learn. I would suggest you go to tradeshows, attend seminars and subscribe to trade magazines.

I myself started in this business @ 9 years ago as a "newbie". Part of my success was never taking a job I wasn't sure I could handle, Always using the highest quality materials and spend a lot of time learning pricing.

Keep the faith! You can get do this.

When i started a local sign shop made the comment to one of my subs
"This kid bought a computer and thinks he's a sign shop!"

Well I do a lot of work for this shop now since they don't have a printer or CNC machine. I keep my focus on upgrading my equipment and learning new techniques.

This isn't meant to discredit the industry veterans, as they have forgotten more than I presently know. Just offering a different perspective on people who are self taught in this industry. We are not all cocky kids. Some of us are the future of this industry.

-matt

shoprat

Thank you guys very much for answering my questions!!:U Rock: I know I have tons to learn with corel and I dont expect to learn it overnight. I just want a good place to start. I am currently looking for a second job working for a sign shop but its tough to find one while I keep my day job to pay the bills. Thanks again for the info from everyone you can bet I will be on here every spare minute I have soaking up the info you guys post on here!

andy

Doug- that explanation of your's is spot on :)

If the emperor has no clothes we should say so- especially in our capacity as old farts LOL

signage

Shoprat I suggest doing a search in this forum on corel and you will find the info you are looking for.

Rod

SignLab training videos through CADlink InfoSource

shoprat said:
Hey guys great site you have here!! Well right down to business, I am very new to this whole sign making thing and I am trying to figure out Corel 12. I have a clip art that I would like to cut but I have only been able to plot outlined letters and shapes. I know the fact that the clip art had so many intracacies (sp?) doesnt help, but how do I fix it so I can have it cut out on vinyl?

Also can anyone recomend a good teaching movie for corel 12?

Another question is it possible to print on vinyl then cut it out all at once? If so how??

Doug really described the situation accurately and succinctly. Pricing is an ongoing source of frustration because customers have difficulty comprehending the level of expertise and talent that goes into fabricating a quality piece of signage. So not only are you obligated to stand by the quality of your work, you need to determine what is a fair and competitive pricing scheme.

With respect to training videos, there is a library of SignLab videos of immediate interest to you. Your SignLab is a little dated, though the videos will be useful to you, nonetheless. CADlink provides InfoSource training videos here:

http://www.cadlink.com/infoSource/index.php

There are different categories of videos available. In the main SignLab category, take a look at the Tracing with PrismScan video, which should help you understand the concept of creating line art from a bitmap image.

Cheers,

Rod at CADlink

SignManiac

Another option for you to consider. Take out a $5,000 business loan, tax deductible educational seminar, and give it to me. I'll let you pay for the privilege of working for me for one month. By the end of that month you will know more about this industry than you can learn on your own in five years on your own. This is a serious suggestion. The mistakes you will make on your own with costs you far more than that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yowsa man...

Doug, you really hit the nail on the head. I don’t think in that explanation, anyone could be upset. I like it and vote for it to go into the ‘Newbie Column’. Maybe even start a ‘Hall of Fame’ thread with that one.

:thumb:

JWILLIS

Sign M does this mean if i give you 20,000 dollars You can teach me more in 4 months than I Can learn by myself in 20 Years....

Im Impressed Checks in the mail....ha ha ha

Flame

Okay, Maniac. I kinda doubt anyone is going to take you up on your offer. Sorry to say it, but a person can learn a lot in 5 years of working if they really try hard. Not saying working under someone knowledgeable won't help out, it will, and a lot. Just not QUITE like you posted.:Big Laugh

And MTM, come on. This guy has CorelDraw and a PC600. He probably doesn't want to spend more on a new program than he has in his current program AND plotter. Especially when it won't even help him at this point in business considering he already has Corel and can already cut.

And shoprat, check out ebay. You can find un-opened packages of instructional DVD's that are very useful (and note all you anti-ebayers, UN-OPENED, UN-PIRATED). Also, the library is another great place to check out. That's what I did when I was trying to learn Corel.

And yes you can print and cut images, but you need the proper equipment for the job. Unless you want to dump a LOT of money into the business right now, just be happy with the setup you have now.:cool:

Cadmn

shoprat sit down with Corel & start using the trace & lots & lots of practice as with any skill or trade practice becomes very important you have the equipment & programs you need for now. signs is an artistic trade & just like a portrait painter they practice for years to be able to paint correctly so why people tought our industry as get rich quick is an excellent question there is NO EASY BUTTON. & YES IT IS PROBABLY HARD TO FIND a part time sign Job as most are looking for experienced & complete sign people because many like some of the franchises here the owner had the money for the franchise upwards of $100,000but he knew nothing about signs. so his first need was someone that could do the work. he wanted to pay minimum wage for expert knowledge Again bringing the wages down for the industry. just saw a television ad for a local "college" stateing they can make you a graphic designer even if you have no art ability ???
& In this area graphic designers are being put on the street & the wages are going down as supply of "designers" exceeds Job needs so minimum wage is accepted to be able to work as a "designer"professional digitising for embroidery is a field being given to India for pennies on the dollar what used to cost 70-80 to get done you can now get done overnight by companies inindia for 15-20they are trying to increase the minimum wage here in America but allow soo much use of foreign labor & less rules for foreign imports. dont go political on me as I did not post this to go political.