• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

help for equipment

sandraF

I'm looking to get into digital printing as I do get more requests for it. I've been outsourcing a few orders to a broker but I think time has come to seriously look into expanding and doing it myself.
I tried to look around but it's a jungle out there, help !
I want to sell the standard products like vinyl banners and posters but what type of printer do I need for that and what type of ink is best???
I'm trying to break it down as best as I can so I can make the right choice as far as equipment but I would love your insights about the following questions:

NEEDS: Output good quality at a rather fast pace for the following products: vinyl banners, indoor posters, canvas, magnets, window cling...

What type of ink is best for the above products (UV, Solvent, pigments???)
How do I determine the speed/width I need for a busy shop (I'd rather pay more upfront and not be stuck with production delays rather than needing to buy another printer in 6 months)
What printer brand is more reliable (mutoh, epson, mimaki, roland...?)

I basically have room for only 1 machine, I do see growth in the future so I would like to make as much products as possible with 1 single machine (versatility)

I need to ensure that the printer will not be down every week and will output consistently.
After advertising to my customers/brokers, I expect a steady stream of rush orders.
Please, any insights or links would be greatly appreciated.
Sandra

Blaney

Use the search function on this site. Lots of useful info. This question has been asked several times.

BTW....welcome from Illinois.

ironchef

If you have the money. Go with a latex printer, if not solvent or eco solvent... either mimaki, roland, mutoh, hp. All good brands
I own a mimaki tho and im happy... what's your budget like?

Correct Color

Sandra,

I do color workflow management for large and grand format printers just about worldwide, and in the past seven years, I've worked with some folks in situations like yours, and I've probably seen every printer/RIP combination out there.

The answer to the question "what's right" depends on a lot of factors, but I would keep in mind two things:

First: It's critical that you get it right. Making a bad initial investment can be disastrous.

Second: Unfortunately, you can rest assured that any salesman you ask about what you need, the answer will unerringly be, "What I have for sale!"

I'm not pitching my service here, because as of yet I have no service to pitch you, but if you'd like some inside skinny and unvarnished advice, feel free to drop me a line.

sandraF

Thank you for the inputs.
Iron Chef, you say go with Latex Ink, but what does that bring me?
I'm still doing some research but it's very confusing when you don't understand the real meaning of the technical specs.
Will Latex ink drop print speeds? Is the ink more expensive the solvent, is it more critical to maintain?
While I know it's hard to say which machine is best, I sure don't want to buy a lemon.
I'm currently heading towards eco-solvent as I understand the technology has been around and is more stable, also the smell/fumes are not as bad.
What resolution/# of passes do you run for a POSTER, for a CANVAS ? for a VINYL BANNER?
Thank you!

tomence

Get the new Roland RE-640, you won't be sorry, way better and easier to use than a Mimaki, but Mimaki is a great printer too and i really like their SS21 inks, if i can have SS21 inks in the Roland RE that would be my perfect printer.

Last edited:

sandraF

I did some research and it seems latex ink printers are a good choice... Anyone have any experience with HP 26500 or 28500 printers? or any other latex ink printers on the market, I would really love to hear your inputs.
Many thanks :)

tomence

Check the mimaki jv400 that's a latex printer as well and way better built and works on a way lower temperature than the hp.

tomence

I think over price and color print not very good, when I saw at the NBM Long Beach.

I don't know what you saw, but i just had a demo at Mimaki HQ in Schaumburg, IL and this printer is awesome. Runs cooler than the HP, 110V, it is as fast if not faster than the HP, colors were as anyone would expect.

ironchef

Latex is the future... i have mild solvent ss21 inks. Which i love. But i hate having to outgas before i can install/laminate. I think eco solvent is nice but solvent lasts longer for outdoor signage. It all depends what your needs are like previously stated. U need white or metallic inks? More outdoor signage? So you need whatever last longer. Or you need fast turnover(latex) i have a print and cut which i love. Another thing to take into account. So let us know more about your customers needs or what you think you'll sell the most

sandraF

Hi,

I just talked with EFI and boy they are confident about their machines... and the price is hiiiiiiiigh
I'm leaning towards the HP fb700 and they said it didn't compare and that it's a toy, yet it's 1/3 of the vutek...
I do have some volume but considering the price difference I think, I'd rather pay less and run the machine longer rather than outputting so fast...
I mean, the HP has got to be a reliable machine able to run 8 to 12 hours EVERYDAY
I would be printing on about 8 different media daily !
Any thoughts on that ??
Thanks