• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help- How to Light this sign?

miltondavis

My client wants estimate/suggestion on how to light this sign with an external light source (not backlit) without the use of traditional flood lights that are installed in ground to shine upward, rather they want to install a light in the upper portion of the wood kiosk that you ideally tucked underneath roof part and light the sign- the kiosk is 4 sides. Does any one have suggestions or a source- I found this so far:
http://www.hooksandlattice.com/sign-floodlight.html#
but the customer wants to find a lower cost solution

my main concern is providing a long "tube" type of lighting but I dont know if that will properly illuminate the whole sign? I worry that the wrong light would not be as effective as a flood light?

Any help of suggestion is appreciated, thx:biggrin:

Kiosk_Sign.jpg

Craig Sjoquist

LEDs would be the way to go, cost is coming down and selection is improving a great deal, outdoor lighting is not cheap no matter how you do it, sealing from the weather is not just a gasket and cover. explain this to your customer.

Good looking, quality, safety is not cheap and cheap is not good looking, quality or safe

daveb

General Know-it-all
I'm with Shovelhead

If it were interior illuminated channel letters or a plex faced cabinet I could help, considering the extreme angle you're limited to here I'm afraid LED's wouldn't push the light down that far. Surely you have a electrical or lighting wholesaler in town who could advise you on the right fixture to use (and I didn't mean to call you Shirley). If you want a good sign go to a professional sign co., if you want good lighting... go to a professional, you retail the fixture and make labor. It's better than putting up something that doesn't work and looking like an idiot.:thumb:

UFB Fabrication

I dont think any of the sign supply LED's would work. It would look spotty and only light less than a foot. Go to a lighting supply co that does parking lot and building lighting. They should be able to get the right fixture that is designed for that. If you normally do not do electric signs check with local code folks about permits as well. You may have to get a licensed electrical contractor to do it. In our area you will get a fine if you dont have license and permit(s)

petrosgraphics

not sure what you have for space in the roof area, talk with an electrician, they make all sorts of self enclosed high output / weather tight fixtures... all sorts of lengths avail.
just not sure on the customers budget...... if there is nothing out there now for electrical
permits will have to be obtained and a lic. electrician called in to do the job...

miltondavis

Thanks all for the helpful input, I plan on updating all the vinyl graphics and just wanted to offer a suggestion to the clients regular electrician for lighting possibilities. There's not much room in the roof part for an upside down flood. I think some good-ole flood lighting from the ground mount is still the best type of illumination for this particular application. Either way doing a good job wont be cheap!The LEDS are a great idea but fear the bottom of the sign wouldnt get enough light.

Sign Prophet

An LED wall washer may fit in that overhang. I have seen a few smaller units, but cant remember where. I will look around if I get a chance and post more info if I find it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Better make sure the landlord is Okay with this and that codes will allow it. No sense spinning your wheels if you're heading down a one-way road.