• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Help! I cannot seem to print gray in RVW without it being grainy

windworks9

I do a lot of labels as part of my business and when it comes to smaller print in gray it comes out grainy almost a speckled look. How can I achieve a full color gray even if it is in small lettering. When I use cmyk it turns out brown and the same with rgb. I have tried running the print on standard and on high quality and they are both the same. My printer is a Roland sp-300v and I am using official roland ink. please see attachment

Attachments

• cropped grainy font.jpg
    cropped grainy font.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 49

netsol

as far as the graininess, it is a limitation of the 4 color printer that it renders light cyan & light magenta by having cyan and magenta dots surrounded by white space. (hence graininess)
using an appropriate profile can probably minimize this effect. you can obviously render grey without light cyan and light magenta.

speaking of profiles, if you generate a proper profile for your machine, the grey should be grey(er)

windworks9

Thank you netsol for your reply. I am not very knowledgeable about having the proper profiles and am sort of new to things. What would I need to do to set up the appropriate profile to minimize this effect?

cornholio

This won't be possible with VW and this printer.
What you need is a printer with LC/LM/LK. A VSi for example.
If you want to finetune black generation and have (more important) dot size control, you need another full featured rip, that's probably more expensive, than a used VSi printer with Versaworks 6.
Roland predefines dot size usage. You can generate linearisations in Versaworks and assign profiles created in a 3rd party software(where you can influence black generation).

netsol

you can consider flexi monthly subscription, at $59.99/mo. i believe
you would still need a xrite i1 pro (lots of them on ebay

flexi supports the I1 without needing a cmyk license.