• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help!!!!! I Have A Van Roof Wrap

Dejohn

My customer is a radio station that wants their now bright yellow van completely wrapped in graphics....My issue is how to do the roof its a Ford Aerostar van so its not huge, Oh and it has racks on the roof...Do I just bridge some scaffolding across it, Maybe repel from the celing like Tom Cruise in the 1st Mission Impossible. I'm really new at wraping (unless you count Christmas Presents) I have done 1 half wrap and that didnt go across the roof. So any help or advise would be great..Thanks Dennis

Craig Sjoquist

1st. I look at equipment on hand or can easily get
2nd. can you take roof racks off easily
3rd think Big Squeegee

Get a Hot Air Balloon with a open platform hover over and apply while hanging upside down, holding on with one leg, swinging back and forth.

Circleville Signs

Don't make it more complicated than it has to be. I would take the roof racks off for sure. Once those are off, use ladders. This can be done as a one man job, but I'd recommend having an extra set of hands. Also, remember, wrap material is repositionable. Just don't overstretch.

Start in the middle and work your way either forward or back. Then repeat.

Good luck!

Gary

cdiesel

Piece of cake.. Like Circleville said, try to remove the racks if you can. If not, you'll have to work around/under them. Don't expose more of the vinyl than you have to, and work in sections.

And DO NOT use a Big Squeegee! While the BS works fine for applying transfer tape, you will never be able to apply sufficient squeegee pressure with that large of a surface. Also, you'll want to work in sections and the Big Squeegee is just that.. Big. Too big to maneuver correctly and efficiently.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
What????

And DO NOT use a Big Squeegee! While the BS works fine for applying transfer tape, you will never be able to apply sufficient squeegee pressure with that large of a surface. Also, you'll want to work in sections and the Big Squeegee is just that.. Big. Too big to maneuver correctly and efficiently.
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

There are many users of the Big Squeegee the will disagree with this statement and have on many occasions. I find that there are many users of the little squeegees that just can't let go of the idea that you have to press hard to get all the air out. The Big Squeegee gets the air out with very little pressure. This is because the vinyl is laid down evenly in a straight line. Something you can't do with the little ones.

The Big Squeegee will not work on surfaces that curve in 2 directions(complex curves). The tools have to have a straight edge to work on in order to work properly.

ProWraps

i dont think getting the air out is the issue. supplying the recommended pressure to the pressure sensative adhesive would be the problem.

cdiesel

Read the technical bulletins Dale. I've talked to many tech support people at nearly all of the vinyl manufacturers, and they find that insufficient squeegee pressure is a leading reason for installation failure.

I wish I woulda thought about it, I would have asked you to demonstrate installing graphics to a vehicle using your products while we were at SGIA. It was a pleasure meeting with you briefly, by the way. I'd love to see a video demo.

Don't get me wrong Dale. I think your products are great and serve a purpose. I just don't believe that wrap installation is anywhere near one of them.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
i dont think...
That could be the problem.:popcorn:

In actual fact, it takes very little pressure to apply pressure sensitive vinyl. I have demonstrated this many times over with a simple test. Just try to remove a graphic applied with the Big Squeegee. It is nearly as hard to remove as with a method that applies more pressure. The bond gets better over time depending on temperature. There really is no need for concern.

Dejohn

Thanks so much everyone...I figured on removing as much loose stuff including the racks as I could..I made a few mistakes on my 1st half wrap that I dont intend on repeating Cutting around stuff I could of removed was one and a better job cleaning was the other..I'm thinking about using 3M Controltac IJ380Cv3 and Gloss Overlaminate 8580 Its what i used on the 1st 1/2 wrap and I liked it..But I have this too Arlon DPF 6000XRP With the Gloss 3230 Overlaminate any thoughts on this?....Thanks So Much For The Help...Dennis

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Read the technical bulletins Dale. I've talked to many tech support people at nearly all of the vinyl manufacturers, and they find that insufficient squeegee pressure is a leading reason for installation failure.

I wish I woulda thought about it, I would have asked you to demonstrate installing graphics to a vehicle using your products while we were at SGIA. It was a pleasure meeting with you briefly, by the way. I'd love to see a video demo.

Don't get me wrong Dale. I think your products are great and serve a purpose. I just don't believe that wrap installation is anywhere near one of them.
I think we are on different channels. The Big Squeegee is not designed to work with complex curves as you will find in most wraps. However, I have installed graphics on door panels with no other finishing pressure and had no problems with failure.

Actually, someone did come by my booth with the same questions. I had a table that the vinyl would not stick to so I was challenged to lay a second layer onto the first. I past the challenge with flying colors. I had one other person test the bond after applying to Coroplast. He too, was satisfied with the results.

It don't take much to do a test on your own.... Lay a square of vinyl on any substrate with the Big Squeegee, use a little squeegee to set one of the corners. Let it set for an hour at room temperature and check to see if there is any difference in how hard they are to remove. You should be using heat to set a wrap so any difference may disappear with that part of the operation.

I don't recommend air release channels be used with the Big Squeegee. They do take a bit more pressure to set the vinyl and may trap air as the result of air being trapped in the channels during application. Air release vinyl requires enough pressure be applied to reform the glue.

Repositionable vinyl will work much better.

Perhaps, some installers are wanting to use the Big Squeegee to smooth down large areas of a complex curve. This is not the way the tools were made to work and I agree that it is no place for it. The Big Squeegee is designed to work on a flat surface and apply the vinyl across the entire width. Using a smaller squeegee to install large graphics is not recommended. Some people do it with a fair amount of success anyway.

cdiesel

I wouldn't use 380 for this.. 180 will work fine/better. 380 is very conformable, almost too conformable.

Dale, we are talking about wrapping a van roof here. That is a complex curve, with a beginning installer. That is a recipe for disaster if you throw a BS into the mix.

For the record, I've used the BS quite a bit. We mount a lot of vinyl to coroplast in full sheets, and have found some success using the BS. The problem is, whenever there is an issue with the install, it takes a HUGE amount of time to correct the issues. I know we must be doing something wrong, but I don't see it as I can install multiple pieces and get different results each time.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
...Dale, we are talking about wrapping a van roof here. That is a complex curve, with a beginning installer. That is a recipe for disaster if you throw a BS into the mix...
It seemed to me that your 1st post about the Big Squeegee was pretty negative so I just wanted to clear up any possible misunderstandings that may come from it. I see where Craig had mentioned it so some clarification was needed.:toasting:

It was nice meeting you at the SGIA show. Several :signs101: members stopped by and in a couple cases gave testamony to the usefullness of the Big Squeegee.:thankyou:

ProWraps

it seems like your reply to me when i did nothing but tell you chris was talking about pressure not air bubbles was extremely negative. because of it, i will never purchase, use nor recommend your product. we wrap hundreds of cars a year. the thought of the big squeege being a tool to wrap a car is laughable.

you may want to rethink how you reply to people on this site as we are your customer base.

mark in tx

Why would someone use that BS to do a vehicle wrap?
He specifically asked about the roof of an Aerostar. It has channels in it.

Dejohn

WOW......Its time like these when its best to agree to disagree and gather around the campfire make Smores and talk about less aggressive stuff like Politics and Religion...I'm sorry I didnt mean to cause a war...

Craig Sjoquist

what works for you is best
since you can do the roof last if you wish ..starting back forward and/or bottom up with panels if using and overlapping
the type of vinyl ..myself being 1st I'd use air egress make easier for less bubbles
squeegee well what is comfortable for you ..trying new products pushes you to another level..
the use of big squeegee be good if someone says hey it works great on this roof or not seems to me this would better on smoother area so I'd try that before harder areas

use common sense ... one step at a time .. you be fine ..someone local that can help with knowhow maybe