• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP! I need HELP getting started...

Murph

Hi There,
Been in the sign business since 1980, tried to start my own several times. Long story. Tired of working for someone else, here I go again!
Just bought a Master Tiger 1000 series cutter. (I know, cheap piece of crap) But it's all I could afford. Having trouble getting it to cut clean. Bought a Roland R-60 blade and it still cuts clean on one side, jagged on the other. New protection strip, any suggestions?
This lady in Chi. burbs needs HELP!:thankyou:

flisk

Congrats on going out on your own!

A couple of questions:

Have you tried to contact the place that sold it to you for customer support? They should be able to help you.

In the event that they cannot, What kind of vinyl are you using? What brand? How thick is it?

What exactly are you cutting? Letters only? Logos? Graphics?
In the event that it's a logo or graphic, are you 100% sure that it is a clean file to begin with?

Kindav hard to trouble shoot this one without that information. :(

Murph

Murph

Thanks for answering, I'm using Calon series 5000, 2.8 mil. Trying a test cut and/or letters for starts, to see if I can get things going.
(I have a friend we call Cheetah, lol)

OldPaint

MURF, i cant help but want to say you woulda dun better....buyin a used ROLAND... to start with......
would make it easier for ya to make some progress....see if they will take it back.....

Murph

MUR-P-H not EF

If I had the money to buy a Roland, I wouldn't need help, now would I?
Don't get me started!:design:

3mpainter

i had a lynx that cut good 1 direction and skipped , 'made like a perferated cut the other'. the pen holder was loose. i put a couple of strips of vinyl on the pen wheels to fill the slack, it worked.

3mpainter

Attachments

• plott1.jpg
    plott1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 168

Murph

Murph

I thought that might be it, I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks for everyones help. Gotta go to my kids hockey game now. I'll be back on early am.
Thanks all,
- Murph

OldPaint

murf, there was a couple for sale here....you can get a used roland fro what you paid for the one you have....
i sold my PNC-1000 for $550
2 yrs ago....should be able to get one for $3-400....

Ken

Hi Murph..
" Don't get me started..."
If you have spent any time here reading the posts, you will realize that , our friend, "OP" calls them as he sees them..and that he will also spell the language as he sees fit.
Some may say that is unprofessional..others will view that as local jargon. My advice ..is to take all the advice..If you don't agree.. either ignore it..or go into a rant that will end in no good.
Smile.
Welcome from BC...
Good luck in your new venture.
Ken

Lunatic Taskbar

Welcome from Nova Scotia,

Has your Cutter head come off the tracks? May be worth looking I have seen these that one half jumps off the track, so you need to carefully and gently lift the offending side up and pop it back in. then re-try.

Good luck with it Murph

S

Sign-Man Signs

If I had the money to buy a Roland, I wouldn't need help, now would I?
Don't get me started!:design:
Wow! asking for help with an attitude. Try a 45 degree blade. 60 degree for thick material like sand blast mask and such. Also check your teflon stripe under the cutter head and make sure it's level.

domdesigns

murf, there was a couple for sale here....you can get a used roland fro what you paid for the one you have....
i sold my PNC-1000 for $550
2 yrs ago....should be able to get one for $3-400....

+1
I have this as a starter, got it for $300, great machine for the money, she's a mule and doesn't cry about the workload.
And i always use a 45 deg

OldPaint

the only draw back with a roland PNC-1000 is it will not cut longer then 62.99".
but if you have a sign program you can panel with it. also its only 15 ips cutting was great for me ..till i got better and was always waitin on the cutter to produce.
i bought a PNC-1100 34 IPS, 350 gram down force, 24" material, and would do long runs past 62.99 with corel. no need of any sign program. i have 2 of these machines, i had one for in the office and one in the MOBILE SHOP. i dont do mobile anymore(price of gas vs price of signs)and i got a good deal on a CX-300 ROLAND.....iam spolied now!!!
cut speed is up in the 50's i think on simple text, 30" material, 350 down force, able to pause and move pinch rollers and never miss a cut. has its own "material cut off" button......sweeeeeet.
someone here had one of these for sale not long ago.
ken did ever sell your GERBER????