Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help I need to make a new sign look old and cracked

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by tdebruin, Jul 15, 2013.

1. tdebruin

tdebruin New Member

Jul 29, 2006
    Maine
    Can anyone tell me how to make a new sign on MDO have a crackle finish that will hold up outdoors on the back of a trailer. I did one with Hide Glue and it looked great but peeled and looks like junk 90 days after making it. I need to paint a logo on it and it has to look old and cracked. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tags:
  2. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    For a exterior distressed look I prefer to do a faux finish rather than actually using aging techniques. As you found out a lot of those techniques don't hold up outside

3. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    print it...

4. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    Are you painting this? If so, i've had really good results painting a few layers and then sanding them down. I haven't tried cracked paint, but that is because when paint is cracked, it starts peeling. i don't want my signs to peel.

After you've sanded it down a little bit, you can use a stain to darken the wood.

Good luck!

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome from PA................................

6. Circleville Signs

Circleville Signs Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    Sanding, beating with a chain, spot clear coat, etc.

7. Chriswagner92

Chriswagner92 Member

Aug 26, 2013
    nc
    I actually just read an article about this, and did a few during my internship, except they were on actual wood planks. Basically paint the sign the base color, and before it is completely dry apply the vinyl paint mask. then paint the logo going with the strokes of the letters and what not so you could see your brushstrokes, peel the paint mask off before it is dry and then with scraps of vinyl touch the surface and peel up some "Grain". Sand lightly.

Here is the link:
    http://www.signcraft.com/articles/20110614/How-to-make-a-vintage-Grocery-sign.aspx

8. Supergirl

Supergirl Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Chicago
    Thanks for sharing that! That IS pretty cool!

9. Chriswagner92

Chriswagner92 Member

Aug 26, 2013
    nc