• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help I need to make a new sign look old and cracked

tdebruin

Can anyone tell me how to make a new sign on MDO have a crackle finish that will hold up outdoors on the back of a trailer. I did one with Hide Glue and it looked great but peeled and looks like junk 90 days after making it. I need to paint a logo on it and it has to look old and cracked. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Billct2

For a exterior distressed look I prefer to do a faux finish rather than actually using aging techniques. As you found out a lot of those techniques don't hold up outside

fresh

Are you painting this? If so, i've had really good results painting a few layers and then sanding them down. I haven't tried cracked paint, but that is because when paint is cracked, it starts peeling. i don't want my signs to peel.

After you've sanded it down a little bit, you can use a stain to darken the wood.

Good luck!

Chriswagner92

I actually just read an article about this, and did a few during my internship, except they were on actual wood planks. Basically paint the sign the base color, and before it is completely dry apply the vinyl paint mask. then paint the logo going with the strokes of the letters and what not so you could see your brushstrokes, peel the paint mask off before it is dry and then with scraps of vinyl touch the surface and peel up some "Grain". Sand lightly.

Here is the link:
http://www.signcraft.com/articles/20110614/How-to-make-a-vintage-Grocery-sign.aspx

Supergirl

I actually just read an article about this, and did a few during my internship, except they were on actual wood planks. Basically paint the sign the base color, and before it is completely dry apply the vinyl paint mask. then paint the logo going with the strokes of the letters and what not so you could see your brushstrokes, peel the paint mask off before it is dry and then with scraps of vinyl touch the surface and peel up some "Grain". Sand lightly.

Here is the link:
http://www.signcraft.com/articles/20110614/How-to-make-a-vintage-Grocery-sign.aspx

Thanks for sharing that! That IS pretty cool!