• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP JV 33 - CYAN dampers stopped firing mid-print

dghound42

President
Mimaki JV 33

Issue is only to the BLUE (cyan) on the JV 33

Ink was not firing on damper 2 (the first blue damper)

Damper 2 was replaced and the line was filled using a syringe.

After damper was replaced, ran mulitiple test draws and the ink came out completely fine.

Started printing again and CYAN wEnt out mid-print.

Stopped printing and ran test draw... both cyan dampers did not fire.

-----------------

Ink is in both dampers.

When I lightly press on the dampers, ink does NOT come out. On all other dampers, ink DOES come out.

Finally got ink to come through the head when pressing on one damper and about 25% of the cyan shows on that dampers test draw now.

Currently running a long nossle wash.

ANY HELP IS WANTED

ED1989

Mimaki Technician
Not really sure

Hi, I'm new, and this is my first reply, my native language is spanish, so please don't mind the grammar, lol.

You should do a simple test, to see if the ink flow in both Cyan are OK.
To do this you have to do the folow:
1. Take off the dampers and joint valves of both Cyan (you can do this individually also).
2. Open the valves (the solenoid from where the ink cartridge "connect")
3. Compare with other color (the ink should leak just fine)

I know how to open the valves from the keyboard, but I'm not really sure how much information I'm allow to give.
Anyway, try that, and let me know please.

dghound42

President
Hi, I'm new, and this is my first reply, my native language is spanish, so please don't mind the grammar, lol.

You should do a simple test, to see if the ink flow in both Cyan are OK.
To do this you have to do the folow:
1. Take off the dampers and joint valves of both Cyan (you can do this individually also).
2. Open the valves (the solenoid from where the ink cartridge "connect")
3. Compare with other color (the ink should leak just fine)

I know how to open the valves from the keyboard, but I'm not really sure how much information I'm allow to give.
Anyway, try that, and let me know please.

Just did this and ink is flowing fine

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Eric you are free to give as much info as you want on here....

I was also going to mention opening the valves. If this is indeed a JV33 you cannot just put a syringe on these like the older JV3 machines unless you open the respective ink valve first. If you do not open the solenoid valve first you are simply getting ink into the damper by collapsing the ink lines and introducing a huge amount of negative pressure on the ink system....

In general I've never once found that I need to use a syringe on our JV33. Once you open the solenoid valve and press in the side of the damper to open it up the ink should just flow on through with gravity.

If you have made sure the damper is filled (on these the dampers should be as full as possible, not half full like the older DX4 dampers) and was done with a solenoid valve open then you have a couple of other possibilities. Could be an air leak, capping top not sealing well, pump failing or ink line from the capping top to pump to waste tanks could be clogged.

Also first I'd just try a good old nozzle soak and let it set for about 20 minutes and see if that brings things back. Might just be some minor clogging on pressure issues in the head itself and sometimes a good soak lets things settle down and clear up.

dghound42

President

I was also going to mention opening the valves. If this is indeed a JV33 you cannot just put a syringe on these like the older JV3 machines unless you open the respective ink valve first. If you do not open the solenoid valve first you are simply getting ink into the damper by collapsing the ink lines and introducing a huge amount of negative pressure on the ink system....

In general I've never once found that I need to use a syringe on our JV33. Once you open the solenoid valve and press in the side of the damper to open it up the ink should just flow on through with gravity.

If you have made sure the damper is filled (on these the dampers should be as full as possible, not half full like the older DX4 dampers) and was done with a solenoid valve open then you have a couple of other possibilities. Could be an air leak, capping top not sealing well, pump failing or ink line from the capping top to pump to waste tanks could be clogged.

Would anyone know a tech in the Indianapolis area?

ED1989

Mimaki Technician
Great, so ink is flowing fine, let's check the joint valves as well, sometimes they clogged, if you are not really sure how to check this, you can eliminate the thing it has inside (the spring and the stopper), you already change a damper and didn't work, so that would be my guess.
Of course, there are other things to check, but try that first please.

ED1989

Mimaki Technician

Also first I'd just try a good old nozzle soak and let it set for about 20 minutes and see if that brings things back. Might just be some minor clogging on pressure issues in the head itself and sometimes a good soak lets things settle down and clear up.

Thanks for the info. It really helps knowing that. I really appreciate it.

dghound42

President
Great, so ink is flowing fine, let's check the joint valves as well, sometimes they clogged, if you are not really sure how to check this, you can eliminate the thing it has inside (the spring and the stopper), you already change a damper and didn't work, so that would be my guess.
Of course, there are other things to check, but try that first please.

Can anyone provide some info on how to check this? Joint valve...

dghound42

President
What is "flowing fine"?

I opened the valve and held down the button on the damper and ink came out, but just drops... not a solid flow

ED1989

Mimaki Technician
The valve between the damper and the line.
It is the valve that let the ink flow when the damper is inserted to it.

ED1989

Mimaki Technician
What is "flowing fine"?

I opened the valve and held down the button on the damper and ink came out, but just drops... not a solid flow

Sorry, my english is not as good as I thought, lol.
What I meant with "flowing fine" is that the ink is flowing normally from the lines, like two or three drops per second.

ED1989

Mimaki Technician
How do I check this?

Here is a pic: http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mROBkD6FuwLNO9RU4PGoyhQ.jpg
Sorry, I'm not really sure how can I insert pictures.

To check this, just open the valve from the back, (the one from the Cyan ink slot) and insert a needle in the "joint valve" from the botton. The ink should leak just fine, like a few drops per second. Like the test you did before, if not, there's the problem, the "joint valve" is not letting the ink flow normally, in other words...it's clogged.

dghound42

President
Here is a pic: http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mROBkD6FuwLNO9RU4PGoyhQ.jpg
Sorry, I'm not really sure how can I insert pictures.

To check this, just open the valve from the back, (the one from the Cyan ink slot) and insert a needle in the "joint valve" from the botton. The ink should leak just fine, like a few drops per second. Like the test you did before, if not, there's the problem, the "joint valve" is not letting the ink flow normally, in other words...it's clogged.

We just did this had zero ink flow.

We opened the valves in the back... disconnected damper and tried to pull ink from joint valve and nothing came out of either line.

ED1989

Mimaki Technician
We just did this had zero ink flow.

We opened the valves in the back... disconnected damper and tried to pull ink from joint valve and nothing came out of either line.

Sorry, you tried to pull the ink? when the damper is not inserted, the joint valve is close, you have to insert something very small like a needle to push the stopper up so it opens and the ink can flow from it.

Or you could just try what I told you before, disarm this joint valve and remove the spring and stopper it has inside.
This will let the ink flow from the joint valve, just from opening the solenoid valve without the need of the damper being inserted.

dghound42

President
Thank you all for your help. I believe we have resolved the issue. We have ordered a new valve that goes in the back of the cyan cartridge. We will be attempting to install it ourselves when it arrives on Monday.