• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP!!! Looking for something, but have absolutely ZERO idea what it is called...

Aklaim

I'm currently doing some rather large light box faces for a client that purchased a sponsoring agreement with a local amphitheater. They are asking that the faces be completely pitch black during the day, and when the box is turned on at night you can see the image nice and clear. Which my brain, says, it shouldn't be possible. Has anyone ever heard of this before, or know what they are talking about?? I'm at a loss on this one, and the other sign professionals in the area that I've contacted are as well.

CES020

It's an acrylic that does that. I have a sample in my hand, not sure if it's the right one, but it's Acrylite 9K004.

J Hill Designs

day/night acrylic, graphics subsurface will do that

or black perf first surface and graphics subsurface will work as well

Aklaim

The day/night acrylic goes from black to white, so if I have the image subsurface you'll never see it. Does anyone know if you can digitally print on the surface of it, and get the same effect as you would as a regular white piece of acrylic or polycarb? As in, I print direct to first surface and it will look black during the day, can't even really make out that there is an image there, and then when the box is turned on, you can see the image nice and clear? Does that make sense?

J Hill Designs

if the image is subsurface it will be seen when backlit. the day/night goes from black (unlit) to 'lit' - the light will ahve to go through any graphic that is sub-surface. it doesn't just magically turn white when lights are behind it.

I will say its kind of 'muted' - not fully bright white

Sign Eagle

I'm currently doing some rather large light box faces for a client that purchased a sponsoring agreement with a local amphitheater. They are asking that the faces be completely pitch black during the day, and when the box is turned on at night you can see the image nice and clear. Which my brain, says, it shouldn't be possible. Has anyone ever heard of this before, or know what they are talking about?? I'm at a loss on this one, and the other sign professionals in the area that I've contacted are as well.

Plot the image in black vinyl using a slight inline and reverse weed, apply the black to the acrylic. Cut the image without the inline and over lay the cutouts in the black, you will likely need to double layer the black to prevent the lights from showing thru at night, black is not really that opaque.