• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help making this seamless tileable

Charlie J

Would like to have this image seamless tileable. What is the best way to go about this?

Attachments

• mosaic.jpg
    mosaic.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 98

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The Texture Synthesis feature of Genetica will work. There are several methods offered. I would recommend the repeating pattern as the way to try first. They offer a full featured free trial and online tutorials.

mikey-Oh

In Photoshop

Plugins are the easy route, what about using the offset filter and manually blending the seams?
:rolleyes:

Charlie J

I ended up going the eye candy route. Not exactly the end result I'm looking for but it will be good enough so I can get a proof to my customer. I wasn't able to figure out how to use Genetica.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I ended up going the eye candy route. Not exactly the end result I'm looking for but it will be good enough so I can get a proof to my customer. I wasn't able to figure out how to use Genetica.

12 minutes in Genetica ... 11 of which were laying down control points in the mortar to define the patch.

Attachments

• Mosaic 2.jpg
    Mosaic 2.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 80

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Are there any tutorials on this software??

26 at last count located HERE. This one in particular shows you about how to do photos. In the case of your mosaic, I did the Genetica equivalent of hand tracing a vector path through the mortar around the individual tiles of the original that were totally within the border of the image using the "patch" method and with feathering, angle and scale jittering turned off.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Dumb question...at least on my part...

Can you take the image, duplicate it, mirror it, and lay it in side by side...

Would the end user even recognize that it was, in fact, a mirror image?

This coming from someone who doesn't have photoshop...

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber

Try it. You will find that it will look too obvious and your eye will be drawn to it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

Mirroring it won't make it a seamless, tileable image. With a seamless tile you can lay the squares down side by side or above and below and the pattern repeats.

Attachments

• tiled_natural_camo07.gif
    tiled_natural_camo07.gif
    153.7 KB · Views: 100

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Plugins are the easy route, what about using the offset filter and manually blending the seams?
:rolleyes:

This. Why bother with software and plugins when this skill is so basic...

Depends on the image to be converted. Why don't you do it with blended seams and show us the results along with the time it took you?

My guess is that many who think it is a basic skill also think auto tracing is as good as hand tracing.

artbot

you can do the north south and left right flip. but to avoid getting that continuous even spacing of the image, mix in half flips, 1/3 flips etc (mirrored up down left right). such as take a quarter of the left side flip and match it then take a third of the right side flip and match it. then do a tenth of the top flip and match and a third of the bottom etc. i have my f11 and f12 set to edit/flip veritically and edit/flip horizontally. you can go really fast that way. then you will have a master tile much larger and then tile that.

signswi

My guess is that many who think it is a basic skill also think auto tracing is as good as hand tracing.

Except that auto tracing is an automated solution to something better done by hand...which is exactly what you're saying should be done in this case.

:help

I get your point but the metaphor was pretty terrible ;). Making tiles was one of the first things I used Photoshop for back in the version 4.0 days when web design was all about tiled backgrounds so I'm probably biased.

mikey-Oh

Depends on the image to be converted. Why don't you do it with blended seams and show us the results along with the time it took you?

Sure it take longer, but I'm kinda a control freak. IMHO, it's better to know how to make things work without the plugin.

As for the auto tracing, I find node editing a subtle and soothing art.
There again, control freak me, I'd rather do it myself over sending it off to someone else or praying streamline worked.