Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Me Decide Please

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Plotters' started by rick s, Jan 24, 2007.

1. rick s

rick s New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Hello,
    We are upgrading our art department, getting rid of the Macs,
    going all PC. We also need to purchase a new plotter. I have narrowed
    the choice down to the Summa D120SE (3,995) vs Graphtec FC7000-75
    (2,745). We do not do much large scale graphics, or big runs where
    super accurate tracking would be a deciding factor. I do feel like I want
    my art people to have a nice and fast machine. SO - should I spring
    for the Summa - or save 1,200. and go with the Graphtec? Don't be shy,
    let me know - I need to order this sucker asap!!

Thanks in advance for your input !!!!!!!!!

Rick
    head slave driver

Tags:
  2. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    Although I have a Summa D60 and have no complaints whatsover, if I were in the market for another plotter, I'd look very hard at the Graphtec FC7000-series plotters. They seem to be very good, and considerably less $$$ than a comparable Summa.

3. 2NinerNiner2

2NinerNiner2 Very Active Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Calgary, AB
    Rick (head slave driver :) ...

... Lyle (chief cook & bottle washer :) here .... can't offer an opinion on those two plotters as my experience has been with Roland, but I believe you are "downgrading" your art department by going to PCs! :) Not to pirate this thread or get that old story riled up here again, but I just had to comment on that comment :) ... all the best in your plotter decision though :)

4. bigbly

bigbly Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Just bought a Summa D120SE and am very happy with it. If you get into cutting printed shapes it works great too. Had Graphtec and Roland plotters previously.

2NinerNiner2, Macs ARE Pcs now lol, I've had both types of computer too, and there's nothing you can't do on a PC these days..

5. Just Another Sign Guy

Just Another Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jun 19, 2004
    i've owned, Gerber, Ioline, Graphtec, Roland, and Summa and my money for Plotters now goes to Summa

6. JWILLIS

JWILLIS Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Ive had graphtec s for years and no problems even with accuracy...

Have the graphtec 7000 -75 and love it...

7. rick s

rick s New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Thanks guys, keep it coming this is great!
    We do architectural signs, the most important thing
    for us accuracy cutting small letters in vinyl and
    ruby lithe materials. And of course reliability.
    Thanks to all.
    Rick

8. animenick65

animenick65 Very Active Member

May 18, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Agreeing with 2NinerNiner2 on the mac issue....especially if reliability is a key factor...

9. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    A very happy Graphtec owner here...............

10. k.a.s.

k.a.s. Very Active Member

Aug 8, 2003
    NE ohio
    My 10yr old Graphtec runs everyday without ever having any problems. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Kevin

11. Sign Prophet

Sign Prophet Member

Jan 5, 2007
    I would go for Graphtec. That is what I have used and have had zero problems with theri machines.

12. Sign Works

Sign Works Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I've been using a Graphtec FC-4100 for about 7 years now, I cut a ton of vinyl and have had no problems.

13. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    graphtec, 8 years, zero problems

14. rick s

rick s New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Hello Everyone, We are now up and running with our new PC's and Graphtec
    FC-7000-75. Art department is very happy. Nothing against Summa, but we opted to save some cash. We were impressed to actually have the president of Summa call us, he must have seen this thread and took the time to find my phone number and call me. Very nice of him to do that. Obviously a stand up company. As far as PC vs. Mac; Adobe Illustrator, the program which we use to design most of our jobs works identically on both types of computers. Only bad thing, is we had to re-purchase most of our fonts again. So we bought a selection of the basic fonts we use, and get new fonts on an as need basis. We also upgraded our flexisign to the latest version, and now find we can no longer copy and paste a file from illustrator directly into flexisign. This is just a minor inconvenience. Overall, with all of the new equipment, we are able to be more productive being entirely PC based and are able to get more work done in a day. It was worth it.
    Best.
    Rick

15. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    I use Illustrator too... almost all the work I do in my expensive copies of Flexi, Signlab & Omega starts by importing illustrator (& Photoshop) files in there.

...but I also bought Corel about 8 years ago... for one reason. FONTS!! It came with tones of fonts & only cost me $150.