• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP ME PLEASE software??

streator scott

I plan on buying a graphtec ce5000. What else do I need? I plan on using Illustrator and my mac. Is this going to work? Do I need more software?

Jackpine

Graphtec CE5000 is a good cutter for the money. It will come with a cutting program for Illustrator and Corel. It is very basic cutting program and you will want more but to start you can design in Illustrator and cut with the bridge Graphtec includes.

Joe Diaz

I plan on buying a graphtec ce5000. What else do I need? I plan on using Illustrator and my mac. Is this going to work? Do I need more software?

You know what I would recommend, I know you didn't ask, but I feel like it's good advice that I think will help you longterm. I think you should try working for someone else first. You can learn so much more and so much faster by working for an established sign business in the area.

Times are tough, starting from scratch in this business is going to be tough and I know that there is a well established shop there in Streator that you could either work for, or you'll have to compete against. I would imagine that it would be hard for Streator to accommodate more sign shops. Have you tried asking Andersons if they are hiring? Because otherwise you will be competing against a sign shop that has been in buisness for quite some time, and they already have a plotter(s) and know what software to use and how to use it.

Just something to think about. If you work for an established business, you will get the knowledge you seek and get paid as you do it.

Either way, I don't envy any shop in Streator, they have crazy strict zoning laws and fees. Which is something else you will need to learn how to deal with.

Good Luck:thumb:

thmooch

I have been using the plug-in for Illy with good results. If you are buying new it will come with this. If buying used make sure seller has original discs.

streator scott

I was a sign maker in New Mexico for 5 years. I am a graphic designer too. Joe Diaz, do you want to hire me? Id work for you

I dont plan on only working in Streator either. Ive considered all these things. Andersons is expensive too. Either way I am buying a plotter. Thanks Joe. Like I said. If you are hiring Ill work for you.
http://www.scottcoley.com

Last edited:

Joe Diaz

I was a sign maker in New Mexico for 5 years. I am a graphic designer too. Joe Diaz, do you want to hire me? Id work for you

I dont plan on only working in Streator either. Ive considered all these things. Andersons is expensive too. Either way I am buying a plotter. Thanks Joe. Like I said. If you are hiring Ill work for you.

:smile: No we aren't that large. It's just the 4 of us here and will probably be that way for some time. There are a lot of shops in the area. I'm sure plenty are hiring. If you aren't anchored down to Streator there are a bunch a shops in the Bloomington-Peoria area. I used to work for Prairie Signs www.prairiesigns.com in Bloomington while going to school. That was a great place to work. If you have 5 years experience, I would check them out. The owner Andy grew up in Streator. That would be a good icebreaker with him.

I only say all of this because I know the area and I would imagine it would be pretty hard to start a new shop and have enough work to sustain you in this economic climate.

Like I said, good luck. Oh and to answer your original question, normally I'm a Corel guy but we us PC. If you are a Mac guy, I would recommend Illustrator. :thumb:

streator scott

Yeah I grew up with andy, he live about 5 houses away from me. I talked to him. Dude, Nobodys hiring and thats why im buying this cutter. Anyways thanks man.

gnemmas

Joe is being polite. Here is what he try not to say: working 5 years as signmaker and doesn't know what are the softwares the "signmaker" use for driving plotters, showing that you haven't learned much.

And that is only a tiny part of running a sign business.

streator scott

I know that Flexi needed a key. I wasnt sure about the mac thing because all the shops I worked at used Flexisign and PCs. Thats why I am asking. I know Joe is being polite. As for you... I dont know. Forget I asked. WTF guys??

Bill Modzel

Illy and Graphtec's Cutting master plug in. That's all you need. If you don't have disks, I think that you can download it from Graphtec's web site.

tomence

dude start your own damn business. dont work for nobody and make money to nobody but to your self. i started just like you i bought me a graphtec ce5000 and use both programs illustrator and corel draw and to tell you the truth i make good money and i started like 3-4 months ago. i do have graphica design background so it was easy for me i dont know much experince you have but you will learn it. second of all go after people for work, hit every store, church, trucking businesses
counstruction businesses, plumbing, i mean there is tons of work if you go after it dont stay at home and wait for work to come to you. and third open yourself a comapany that way you gonna look more profesional. after 4 months of business now i am looking to buy me a printer at least 54" so i guarantee you if you look for work you will find it.

Legman

Steator where?

Streator as in "Illinois"? I'm in Dixon!

I just bought a CE5000 and it does a stand-up job for me. The ONLY thing I've had a problem with is when I cut a LONG (as in 11 feet) piece it wants to wa\lk the vinyl off the rollers. I've found that if I slow the speed down to "10" or "12", that the problem is solved.

Personally, if I was offered a Mac computer for free I'd toss it in a dumpster and go buy a USED pc!!

Do yourself a favor.............go buy a high-end Dell with a bunch of RAM and a big hd and you'll be miles ahead.

Legman

What work shortage?

Scott - As for getting work unless you're totally braind dead and have NO selling skills don't sweat the "get work" question. Ever since I had my graphics dude make up a killer biz card for me the work has been flooding in. I swear - every time I hand someone a card they ask me for a job quote!!! It's absolutely AMAZING!

And the business name doesn't hurt me either - Here's Your Sign!!

Attachments

• business_card_jpeg.jpg
    business_card_jpeg.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 132

Legman

.......and look around. Since I got my CE5000 a few weeks ago for $1500 I've seen them at $1295 from several different dealers.

That $200 will buy ya' a couple 50 yard rolls of Intermediate vinyl to get started with!

AND WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T BUY ANY OF THAT CRAPPY "STANDARD" TRANSFER TAPE! GET CLEAR TAPE INSTEAD. The cost difference is about $4.00 a roll!!!!!