• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP! Missing print head

Signed Out

XJ 540 Printed all day long yesterday and had perfect nozzle test prints, not a single missing nozzle. Was setting up to print other side of 48' trailer wrap and test print was missing a ton of black nozzles and a lot of cyan.

first.jpg

We did a manual clean, it got worse. We did a medium clean and it got even worse. We tried this again and then 1 side of the black head went completely missing. So we tried swithcing the ribbon cables on the black head. That was a mistake as we then lost all black and yellow.

second.jpg

We only swapped the ribbon cable down at the heads, not up top. We are thinking/hoping we have to re enter the serial numbers for the head now?

Basically we are lost could use some help.

Thanks,

Signed Out

I think maybe what was happening is the black damper may have started to go. In the first few test prints, black printed a bit in the firs pass, and tapered to nothing, same in the second pass. Progressively this got worse until there was no more black on the one side. At the time we thought must be electrical as the whole side was missing, but looking back I think maybe the damper was the culprit. Although, doesn't really explain why the cyan head was missing a chunk of nozzles which came back eventually.

But now we sit here waiting to hear back from our dealer tech. We think by switching the black cables with eachother at the head we may have wiped the head rank number? We think we found where to enter them in service mode but unsure if we should do this?

Any input?

Signed Out

Talked to a roland tech, nothing to do with head rank nubmers, most likely blew a fuse on the head main board by swapping the cables.

Anybody change these fuses out before? Is it very difficult? Tech probably can't make it out until Friday.

Ragnabrok

Yeah, blown fuse likely, lost all of group B. I think the fuses are slotted on the pro3's, they are like a tic-tac, just pop it out and replace it.

original problem is likely damper, or an empty ink cartridge that decided it didn't want to let you know it ran out.

Also that first test print has lots of black in the yellow by the looks of it. i'd be looking to replacing the caps on black and yellow, and at least look at the wipers + scraper that they aren't super crusty.

jfiscus

Rap Master
looks like you had bad dampers or bad seal on the capping station, but swapping the cables seems to have caused more issues. :(

Signed Out

Thanks for the responses.

Trying to find the fuses for the head board in the service manual, can't seem to find their location. I think they are either circled in green or red. Does anybody know which? Also I should I be able to find these at an electronics store?

head board.jpg

Phenex

What I see circled on the picture look like capacitors, not fuses. What is on the reverse side of the board?

Signed Out

Starting to think that the board I showed in the picture isn't the head board. Is the head board under the cover above the ink carts? Does anybody have a link/pics/instructions on changing these fuses? The service manual doesn't seem to include that, or even state the location of the board or fuses that I can find.

kffernandez

Trying to find the fuses for the head board in the service manual, can't seem to find their location. I think they are either circled in green or red. Does anybody know which? Also I should I be able to find these at an electronics store?

that, i believe is the carriage board. i don't have an XJ 540, but if the configuration is similar to other roland printers, the main board should be located at the back, near the main power switch.

one word of advice tho. like what others have replied, it appears that you have had a simple problem of ink starvation, caused by capping/damper/cleaning issues. due to your improperly executed ribbon swap, you have made it a little worse by blowing a fuse. at this point, i could help you by asking you to look for a service manual that would show you exactly how to gain access to your main board, and point you towards the exact location of the fuse... but it also appears that you have no idea what a fuse looks like, which makes me doubt even more on your competency with electronics. so now, i strongly recommend that you just get a tech to drop in and check it out, before you do any more damage.

kelly

Signed Out

fuses.jpg

Ok I found the fuses in the upper right below the red wires. Would Radio shack or some other store have these in stock? I ordered some from roland, won't be here until tomorrow. Dealer won't come until MOnday at the earliest because they are preparing for a trade show in Atlantic City...That is a story for another thread...

So would really like to try and get this back up and running tonight. I can pick up dampers from the dealer today, if only I can find a fuse locally. Any ideas?

Signed Out

Probably a long shot, but would a roland gx500 plotter have one of these fuses in it? I could borrow it off the cutter until ours came in if radio shack doesn't have them.

Signed Out

Need to buy a syringe to pull ink after we replace the dampers tomorrow. Is there a certain size syringe needed? I should be able to find this at a pharmacy?

printhog

View attachment 117542
those are not the parts youre looking for .. the fuses are on the head board located in the main power box... Roland FJ 540FJ 740 Head Board For 6 Heads Installation Video - YouTube

printhog

Signed Out

Parts came in a half hour ago, 2 dampers and a fuse. Back up and running, printing 48' trailer wrap now. Gonna be a fun day tomorrow playing catch up.

Thanks to those who chimed in to help.