• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP!! Moving a JV33

Rooster

Long story, but here's the problem. Moving company bailed, new company came through to help with the physical move, but the schedule has advanced and I will no longer have a tech here to help with the move.

What do I need to do to safely move a JV33 across town? I know I'll need to park the heads somehow and possibly swap the inks out for a cleaning cart.

I'm lost and have no time to waste on this as it's moving tomorrow at noon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Letterbox Mike

Just unplug it, move it and plug it back in. We've moved JV3s and JV33s across town several times and never did anything more. Run a few cleanings on it if it's unplugged more than a half-hour or so.

MikeD

lock the head in place with the yellow clamps that came with the printer. If there is ink in the system, you may want to flush it out; I recently tilted one of mine up on one side and the gravity and increased pressure may have damaged the wall of a damper.

Keep in mind that I am not a tech, I learned most of what I know about printers by breaking them, and most importantly, I could be totally wrong.

If your tech can't be there for the move, maybe he can get everything boxed up before hand if you can afford the extra down time.

Good Luck!

Rooster

Thanks guys I can't seem to find the yellow clamps, so we'll have to be gentle with it. It's going to have to go up and down some stairs at both ends of the trip, so we'll see how it goes. My old epsons made the same kind of trip without any major issues, but as long as there's no big bumps I'm hoping we should be OK. I'll do a few hard cleanings at the destination to work any possible air out of the lines when we get there.

Wish me luck, I may need it.

Worst case scenario is is a new head from a bumpy trip, but we're only going 40 blocks down the same street so it shouldn't be too bad. The head is 4 years old at this point and showing signs of degradation. If **** happens it's not like I've got a brand new head in the thing. It's about that time anyhow.

4R Graphics

I moved a JV33 from one side of the state to the other (5 hour drive)

I had no problems you just need to plug it in as soon as you get to your destination.

The cleaning cycles only run every 4, 8, 12 or 24 hours depending on what you have set so if the printer will be unplugged for more than 4 hours you may want to do something perhaps fill the cap with flush but really moving across town just unplug load move unload plug back in do a cleaning and you should be fine.

MikeD

Other than the problem I mentioned above, I should also tell you that we carried 2 JV33's up and down a stairwell- without the clamps and full of ink...they are O.K.

Also, I think you could leave one unplugged for a few days and recover everything with a good soak. Much easier than the old JV3.

You will probably not have any problems...
Good Luck with the move!

Rooster

The move went flawlessly. I had to grab the head as it started to slide away from the home position on the first set of stairs, but it never hit anything and all jets were firing upon plugging it in at it's new home.

They really are much tougher than the service techs let on.

Thanks for all the advice and sharing your own experiences. It took a lot of worries off of my back to know it wasn't as big a deal as I first imagined it might be.

genericname

You were pretty fortunate, I'd wager.

When we picked up our second JV3, it wasn't flushed, and ink ended up just pouring out of the thing. After a thorough cleaning, it ran for about a day before it shut down entirely. Unbeknownst to me, a bunch of the ink ended up trickling into the center of the printer, where the boards are housed. The main board was soaked in ink, and it took us two weeks to get it back up and running again.

Last edited:

TheSnowman

Not sure what tech told you it was a rough thing to move. I moved my JV3 and they told me to just duct tape the head in place. We had a landing and a scissors lift, so we used that to get it down the steps at the old place.