• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help! Need help to remove old decals from planes. Not vinyl but decal like a model

g4printing

I have a customer who buys old military jets and fixes them up for resale. There are remains of 20 year old decals on the matte grey military paint that need to be removed. It is not like vinyl with adhesive and none of the traditional removers or methods work. Any thoughts of what might work without damaging the paint?

The two pictured jets are on deck to be refurbished. The front one had to be painted with the lighter color as they were not able to remove those thin model style decals so they painted over them. The client would like to avoid doing that to the rest of the planes or having to paint the entire jet as they are all over the exterior. The military marked everything with locations and specifications. They are not cut from vinyl. It looks like screen print on a sheet that is then installed with water to activate the adhesive. Years later they are rough shape and need to be replaced. They are also in a foreign language and I come in to install vinyl in English.

Any help would be ever so greatly appreciated. We are all pulling our hair out. And there are 20 plus more planes to go.

Attachments

• img1.jpg
    img1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I don't have any good suggestions for you, but that's an awesome project! If you cut the decals off with a razor blade, does it expose glue?

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
If they are a pain your only option is probably going to be heat and plastic razor blades. The scraperite razor blades fit in your blade holder of choice and the different colors are different plastics. Some are stiffer and more likely to scratch paint and others are softer. Link http://www.amazon.com/Scraperite-Plastice-Razor-Blades-Multi/dp/B007VSVQ52

With that many to do I would invest in a bunch of holders to find one that works well and is comfortable. I have both of these. http://www.amazon.com/Titan-Scraper..._UL160_SR116,160_&refRID=0E4FKHER7M83DVZT7P5A

g4printing

Thank you!

I went ahead and ordered in the Aircraft Decal Remover and also a variety of plastic scrapers and pinstripe removal tools. I'll let you all know how it goes when the supplies arrive. Thanks again for your input. MUCH APPRECIATED.