• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help needed... Mutoh Falcon Outdoor Jr.

Able

There is a possibility the head was not new. Unless perhaps the head was damaged during the installation process, it seems unlikely that a functioning brand new head will get clogged from the outset.

Jackpine

+1 Solvent Inkjet

+1 Solvent Inkjet. It does make a difference where you buy. It should never be about price alone.

CRD

Sorry I was out of the country.

Epson DX2 heads come without ink or other fluids inside delivered.

If by pushing GENTLY cleaning fluid through the head with a syringe and observing the nozzles output and you can see the fluid coming out evenly in straigth lines then your nozzles outputs can be OK but you still can have electric issues in the head.

Epson heads are PIEZO heads by design. When a voltage is applied at one of the nozzle plates it will deform so the inkchannel for that nozzle changes in volume. After releasing the voltage the channel goes back to it regular shape. Due to this change in volume the ink is pressed as a droplet to the outside. If this electric function is broken then the pass through with a syringe might work but the electric firing not.

Head rank is a specification of the head voltage applied to each nozzle. Some channels need a little more power or less to get the droplets out in the correct size and speed. This head rank is for each head obtained at the factory. In general with the naked eye the change in headrank and so head voltage for each nozzle is hard to detect.

If you have a resonance bath you can put the head in it too with some cleaning fluid.

Did you use fresh ink for the new heads?

Paco

Sorry I was out of the country.

Epson DX2 heads come without ink or other fluids inside delivered.

If by pushing GENTLY cleaning fluid through the head with a syringe and observing the nozzles output and you can see the fluid coming out evenly in straigth lines then your nozzles outputs can be OK but you still can have electric issues in the head.

Epson heads are PIEZO heads by design. When a voltage is applied at one of the nozzle plates it will deform so the inkchannel for that nozzle changes in volume. After releasing the voltage the channel goes back to it regular shape. Due to this change in volume the ink is pressed as a droplet to the outside. If this electric function is broken then the pass through with a syringe might work but the electric firing not.

Head rank is a specification of the head voltage applied to each nozzle. Some channels need a little more power or less to get the droplets out in the correct size and speed. This head rank is for each head obtained at the factory. In general with the naked eye the change in headrank and so head voltage for each nozzle is hard to detect.

If you have a resonance bath you can put the head in it too with some cleaning fluid.

Did you use fresh ink for the new heads?

Paco

Yes fresh ink was installed with the new heads. The lines were also flushed several times before I installed the heads. When I push the cleaning fluid through the head with a syringe I have missing nozzles, which is what lead me to believe they are clogged. I pushed fluid back and forth trough the head several times but I didn't get any improvement. Is there any chance that one of the print head restoration companies could fix it?

CRD

In my humble opinion you have tried the max.
Why a new head is clogged is a mystery.
If you have a ultra sonic jewlery bath you can try that as a last option.
No idea if the rescue companies can rescue this head.
Problem with the DX2 heads is the current price as the heads are not in production eny more... :-(.

Paco

In my humble opinion you have tried the max.
Why a new head is clogged is a mystery.
If you have a ultra sonic jewlery bath you can try that as a last option.
No idea if the rescue companies can rescue this head.
Problem with the DX2 heads is the current price as the heads are not in production eny more... :-(.

Paco

That is why I have tried so hard to save this head, spending another $750 is not going to be easy. Thank you for all of the help, I wouldn't have made it this far if it wasn't for you and the others on here who took time out of their day to help me. I guess it will be a good lesson for anyone reading this in the future, do not do business with CMYK parts!!! I found a couple "refurbished" heads on ebay, at this point it may be worth a try.

CRD

Can not comment on CYMK as I never dealed with them.
You migth contact member "Chester215" on this forum.
He still has some brand new DX2 color heads (I was told) for a lower price as 750$. :)
no not 150$ but in between.
Send him a PM and tell him I send you.
maybe worth to try.

BTW Last October I put a brandnew DX2 color in my machine as the magenta was missing and deflecting some nozzles.
The new head printed fine for all color nozzles for 1day.
Next day 4 cyan colors not working any more.
Put in the old head which had defective magenta nozzles and 100% cyan nozzles.
This proofed the new head was shot too after one day of use.
Missing nozzles could not bew recovered by any already mentioned methodes.
So it can be a mi**** anyway.

Paco

tetonsio

Hi. I know is a long time ago but do you know or remember how to make the printer recognize ink cartridges not original? I have found something about cutting and replacing the original label on the ink tank but I don´t have the original inks with stickers. Is it some special sticker, some say is a silver foil... I would lie to know exactly what to do. Thanks.

RG

Hi. I know is a long time ago but do you know or remember how to make the printer recognize ink cartridges not original? I have found something about cutting and replacing the original label on the ink tank but I don´t have the original inks with stickers. Is it some special sticker, some say is a silver foil... I would lie to know exactly what to do. Thanks.

Yes, mirrored chrome foil form an Edge printer or cut chrome vinyl with the 2 black 7/16" squares stuck on it in the right place should work. The "card" on all 4 colors looks the same to me. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• FOJ ink smart card.jpg
    FOJ ink smart card.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 138

tetonsio

Yes, mirrored chrome foil form an Edge printer or cut chrome vinyl with the 2 black 7/16" squares stuck on it in the right place should work. The "card" on all 4 colors looks the same to me. Hope this helps.

Thank you sir. You really are a good help, thanks for taking your time to reply and send me a picture, finally someone did. Thanks again.

RG

You are welcome. I started out with a FOJ printer. It served me well for 5 years. When you stick your new "card" on the cartridge, stick it about 1/16" back form the end of the cartridge and butt it right next to the lip that hands over on the top of the cartridge. If you have trouble finding cartridges for your FOJ printer, ValueJet 220 cartridges will work. Just remove the smart card that comes on the ValueJet cartridge and apply your FOJ custom made "card."

tetonsio

Valuejet 220, ok. Let me tell you, looks incredible but someone had this Falcon printer new in a box for years and decided to sell it. As an old but "new" printer I decided to buy it and try to make it work again. The printheads were flushed after a show years ago, so I hope they be fine. I just did all tests with the hidden menu and everything works real good. My only problem are the ink cartridges, too expensive 6 colors just to test and maybe find that I have to get new printheads so I decided to look for refillable cartridges. Now I will try with your help and see what happens. I will let you know as I think you deserve a lot of credit by helping me.

RG

Sounds like a plan that just might work. If the heads were flushed, they should be OK. But, the rubber on the cap tops probably is no good. You said "6 colors", so your printer doesn't sound like a FOJ printer. And, I know that you can not buy just the cap tops for a FOJ printer. You have to buy the whole maintenance station. If you try it with the cap tops that are on your printer now, be sure to use a swab with some cleaning fluid and wet the rubber part of the cap tops before you try printing anything. You might want to stock up on some o-rings for the ink lines and some new dampers, too. And, check the rubber on the pinch rollers to see if it is sticky.

tetonsio

You are welcome. I started out with a FOJ printer. It served me well for 5 years. When you stick your new "card" on the cartridge, stick it about 1/16" back form the end of the cartridge and butt it right next to the lip that hands over on the top of the cartridge. If you have trouble finding cartridges for your FOJ printer, ValueJet 220 cartridges will work. Just remove the smart card that comes on the ValueJet cartridge and apply your FOJ custom made "card."
Well, it happens that as I never used Mutoh printers, I found a lot of names for this printer. The label in the back shows SDMP-46J... at the front cover says Falcon Outdoor, in the Manual I found it says Mutoh Rockhopper 46, and some others Mutoh Prismjet, the name given by Signwarehouse. Also AGFA shared this model with its own name. Anyway, yes, it is 6 colors.
I will clean all that as you say before trying to print. I am waiting the refillable cartridges to arrive. Meanwhile I am building the Waste Ink Tank base as it did not come with the printer. It has a little switch that you know for the ink to be recognized. My only problem with it is to know if it is a pressure switch or an optical switch as I removed a pressure switch from an Epson desktop printer cover to adapt it. I don´t wnat to connect anything until I be sure won´t damage the mainboard.

tetonsio

Thanks to you. I am up and running. Just a few nozzles are not working but the foil stickers worked perfectly and everything is really fine. I just asked for 2 printheads as a backup. This is a banner printing 720 x 720 bidir. Just fine. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG-20170921-WA0041.jpg
    IMG-20170921-WA0041.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Agree
Reactions: RG