• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help needed with Vutek QS3220

chrispatto20

Hello, we are currently having these two errors come up alot on our Vutek QS3220.

We start printing and sometimes after the first pass it will not put any ink down, then freeze and wait for around 20 seconds it will then go home and error. Or it will start printing fine and it can get part way through a print and then freeze and do the same again. Also sometimes it will print the image in two or three different places alongside each other and in different colors. We can get either error, or both at the same time.
We have changed the 2 boards in the head and removed and cleaned all cables connecting into them. The two small black cables on top of the head and furthest to the left (the linear encoder cable and the lamp cable) i think, both seemed quite loose and looked as if they were pulling out. So we have fitted new screws to hold the cables down but this doesnt seem to have sorted the problem either!

Does any one have any suggestions, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Chris.

ImagePress

I've seen this before. Its usually your pixel data cable that runs through the igus track (umbilical) from the end of the track to the carriage. You can probably see grey dust on the shelf where the track sits as well as wear in the sheath of the cable itself. Theres a chance it may be the pixel board, but thats slim (although easier to replace).

chrispatto20

We've cleaned the encoder strip numerous times, it has a few tiny marks in it but they've always been there. Will try cleaning the encoder sensor, is that easy to locate? We had an engineer come out and he changed the pixel data cable, and that seemed to sort the problem, but then a week or so later it came back again!

ImagePress

Yea, those are surprisingly delicate. If the cable isn't run tight enough, it will rub on the track and wear through again. I've had a couple that came in bad as well. If it was done recently, they will usually come back and replace it again and not charge travel for the second visit. They should replace the cable at no cost as well (again, if it was a recent repair).

chrispatto20

Just had the encoder sensor out and cleaned it and refitted it, it was about 3-4 ish mm away from the encoder strip, it is now much closer, as tested with the feeler gauge. Still the machine is erroring.
Just had a look at the pixel data cable and it wasnt laid very straight in the igus track, had a few bends and twists in and was a bit slack, so we've sorted that out, but maybe the damage has already been done again?

ImagePress

Its possible although you typically see wearing in the cable when it fails (usually a foot or two just before it starts to bend in the home position). Do you have a spare part kit with a pixel board? That would be my next suggestion. I would also recommend calling the guys at Vutek as they have always helped me out a ton.

chrispatto20

Cant really see any signs of wear in the cable. Yeah we changed the pixel board aswell as the cable and it still hasnt sorted it.