• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help! New MacPro, FlexiPro Mac, JV3

jdsignco

Bought a new MacPro, and all you Windows lovers, whatever this thing is BLISTERING FAST. So I called Flexi, they say that if I get FlexiPro Mac, the JV3 firewire port is not supported, and they said to call Mimaki. Called Mimaki, and they said there is no way to print from the Mac. Mimaki was less help than SAI, which is unusual.

Currently, I have my Mac as Design station and my Dell as my Rip station.

I'd like to go all Mac, and upgrade to FlexiPro Mac, do you guys know of anyway around this issue, other than buying a new printer?

Maybe Flexi will upgrade my 8.1 to 8.5 Windows and Mac for free!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bad news... Mimaki has never written a Firewire Driver for the Mac platform and probably never will (all their new products are USB)

The only way to drive your printer from the Mac would be using a USB/Parrallel or Ethernet/Parallel converter but then that is going to make your printer run super-sloooow.

I'm a mac guy myself but I'd say just get a semi-decent PC, disconnect if from the internet and give it the dedicated task of running as a RIP - Should be zero maintenance to do. Flexi lets you run the Design app on one computer and send to the Production Manager on another so if you don't mind sucking up the cost of two licenses of Flexi I'm sure you can design on your mac and send through the PC.

jdsignco

Dave,

Thanks. As I have found out. It's almost just as cheap to get a new JV-33, although my JV-3 is fine. Although, I'd prefer to get a flatbed!

Mainframe

You can load windows on your Mac, get Parallels software and use all your pc software on the pc side. With Parallels, I just command tab from the Mac side to the pc side at will, I can design, surf the net get email on the Mac side, while ripping & printing on the pc side, maybe you can look into it.

SBTJC

I feel your pain. I want to move to a mac shop so bad I can taste it. The only way I have found is to Parallel or VMFusion a Windows drive and run that way.

jdsignco

Oh the Mac rocks! Windows and Flexi still freaking crash.. We are running VM Fusion. You still can't RIP or Print from a new Mac Firewire... Thanks Flexi and Mimaki! You know, the amount of money we spend on this crap, Flexi, one would think they would have everything working properly and user friendly!

etfourie

agree i also run with illustrator /fincut on the mac side and the i have this ms dedicated printserver (ripping) rasterlink pro on the pc side.
Please mimaki when will we get everything on the mac ?
the alternative would be the emulator route