• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help on lighted box install

skyhigh

expansion bolts, lags and shields, tapcons are a much better alternative and just as easy to install.

You would mount a cabinet with tapcons? I'll go with the expansion bolts or shields & lags, but never tapcons.

The blue screw is great for attaching electrical boxes or a 2x4 to the wall, but other than that, I wouldn't trust them to hang a heavy cabinet. Anyone that has used them, knows how easy it is to snap off a head.

If it doesn't expand, then don't use it to hold any weight to the wall.

FS-Keith

You would mount a cabinet with tapcons? I'll go with the expansion bolts or shields & lags, but never tapcons.

The blue screw is great for attaching electrical boxes or a 2x4 to the wall, but other than that, I wouldn't trust them to hang a heavy cabinet. Anyone that has used them, knows how easy it is to snap off a head.

by tapcons I meant the big ones like where just posted

skyhigh

by tapcons I meant the big ones like where just posted

You're not going to snap the head off a 1/2" tapcon very easy, that's for sure....but like I said...

Not saying your large tapcons are wrong..... I just feel better with something that expands.

I like tapcons....I like shields and lags...ect. But for a 3x6 cabinet as the OP mentioned, I would be installing hammer anchors.

FS-Keith

Not saying your large tapcons are wrong..... I just feel better with something that expands.

I like tapcons....I like shields and lags...ect. But for a 3x6 cabinet as the OP mentioned, I would be installing hammer anchors.

the 4'x32' cabinet with channel letters was installed with 1/2 big tapons and the monument was installed between two existing concrete poles using hilti drop in threaded inserts and hilti expoxy and tightened down with 1/2" bolts..

if you think it has to "expand" to be strong you need to get up to speed on fasteners

just thinking about leaving a job site using hammer ins makes my stomach churn

Attachments

• IMG_1552.jpg
    IMG_1552.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1744 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1744 (Small).JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1742 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1742 (Medium).JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 100

skyhigh

While the "Prologis" sign is very nice :thumb:, its sandwiched between 2 concrete pillars. Not at all the application we are discussing. (ps. would love to see some pics during the fabrication stages if you care to post).

Perhaps you should read up on fastners a bit more also. You would cringe using these 1/2" hammer anchors?

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=52309&ucst=t

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0129055&ucst=t

Like your tapcons, there is a proper size for every job......and while I wouldn't be afraid to use the "lowe's" hammer anchors on a teenie 3x6. I surely wouldn't use them on something larger like you've shown.

Attachments

• 52300.jpg
    52300.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 82

FS-Keith

The ones you just posted are fine because you can remove the sign without using an angle grinder and butchering your sign. The ones I have been referencing are junk plain and simple.

My bigger concern here is how the op is going to be wiring this sign. If there were questions on how to keep a 60lb sign on a wall I can't wait to see the wiring

I'll see what I can dig up for fab pics, that one took up some real estate, it's all 2x2 x1/4 alum angle frame with kerfedangle top and routered panels and flush cut to ends of frame. Removable back side panels for accessing bolts. Poles were from another sign, used a laser level from one pole to the other to get center of poles to place fasteners, thought we would have to set the trucks up at away so I had a 30 Ton crane on standby but we ended up using my buddies 97' manitex:cool1:

S'N'S

tapcons with fender washers. use the HEX head ones. they don't strip like the phillips ones

I live in the windiest part of our state and when I erected a 20' x 10' kit tool shed (we call them blow away sheds, if they aren't secured properly...they blow away), I use Tapcons to secure it to the concrete slab 5 years ago. Pretty sure they will hold a crappy little sign box on a wall. Half the stuff posted here is just plain overkill.

Attachments

• Tapcons.jpg
    Tapcons.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 75

Tifosi

I will use Tapcons for many installs and if you don't over torque them during installation they will hold.

I will also use Red Head anchors for heavier boxes or race way installs.

Lag bolts with lead expansion sleeves are bad news. I don't know how many times I have come across failing expansion sleeves.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i can't see why you wouldn't use them, pre drill the sign box, hold it to the wall, hammerdrill the brick/concrete and bang it in.

simple, effective and permanent.

i install signs permanently, so i'm not worried about the next guy taking it down.

what's it take a few extra minutes to remove these??? who cares, bill it...

i've never seen one of these fail when applied correctly...