• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP...Paint chip protector

decalman

My customer has some pricey paint chip protector that he wants me to install on a small area on his motorhome.

It's going on such a small area beneath the steps.
I'm not going to use a plotter to cut it I'll just cut it with a scissors. I've never handled this stuff before. I'm totally ignorant about it.

Do I use soapy water or is it a dry app?
It's going on a curved surface.

Do I tape it in position or just hold it in my hand and wing it ?

Is a heat gun necessary?

Thanks for your help.

striper14

I assume you are talking about clear paint protection film in which case put in on wet, its more forgiving that way & you can easily pull it off to clean off fingerprints or bits of dirt that magically appear beneath it.

I would tape in place then put some tape to mark the edges, pull of & remove backing, spray everything with soapy water, position decal again, squeegee with felt edge which you've wetted & you are done.

You can see when all the waters out so you dont need a heat gun unless you stretch it when removing to wash off fingerprints etc. lol

decalman

I assume you are talking about clear paint protection film in which case put in on wet, its more forgiving that way & you can easily pull it off to clean off fingerprints or bits of dirt that magically appear beneath it.

I guess the water stuck in between can be squeegeed out?

I would tape in place then put some tape to mark the edges, pull of & remove backing, spray everything with soapy water, position decal again, squeegee with felt edge which you've wetted & you are done.

You can see when all the waters out so you dont need a heat gun unless you stretch it when removing to wash off fingerprints etc. lol