• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help please : How to wrap edge of wing. Image Included

simpson246

Hi all, this question doesnt just refer to the edge of the wing but to the edge of many parts on a vehicle.

The question is how would you wrap the part of the wing of a vehicle.

I know other parts like the lower edge of the door you can just cut right up against the door eliminating this problem.
Although the problem with doing that with this part is you will see the origional colour of the vehicle.

So how would you deal with this without getting the 'fingers'

Thanks,

Attachments

• photopjk.jpg
    photopjk.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited by a moderator:

simpson246

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Sorry but what do you mean?

The only other thing I can think of is apply the graphics over the edge and then push the vinyl down and around the edge (as pictured) with a squeegee and then to cut.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

thanks,

put a few relief cuts just to the outside of the edge so the vinyl can overlap itself slightly on the other side of the area you are wrapping. this alleviates those folds and you can't see the cuts on the backside.

4R Graphics

As visual concepts said you make a couple of relief cuts then tuck and fold when the wing is installed you will never see it and the edge will be clean since you tucked under and relief cut it to get rid of the bunching.

MikePro

two relief-cuts, like a "V" on the two sides of the point where the straight line hits the radius.

-pull the middle "tab" of vinyl over the top of the point and wrap on the backside
-then wrap the two sides around so the 3 parts overlap eachother on the backside to keep each other secure.

Cale Frederick

Not sure if you did this or not, but remove the wing from the car and things should go much easier. Just noticed in the pic that the wing is on the car. Should only be a few nuts and/or bolts and off it will come.

simpson246

Thank you all for your replies.

I think I'll go ahead with the 2 relief cuts either side as stated.

I wouldnt want to remove the wing as I would look to go into this into the future and that wouldnt be done on customers vehicles.

Many thanks,

Kind regards,

Ryan,

MikePro

Thank you all for your replies.

I think I'll go ahead with the 2 relief cuts either side as stated.
Ryan,

forgot to mention, that, when I do the cuts... i double those cuts to "notch-out" some of the excess vinyl that won't be tucked away. little heat, and a slight stretch before tucking to the backside helps hide any remaining excess from the "fold".

simpson246

Thanks, so I guess after completing the little relief cuts, stretch the vinyl over the edge of the corner with heat and then pressure against the underside of the part.
I guess this should result in a clean finish with no 'fingers' as pictured.

Cheers,