• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help Pricing HDU sign

bpatrick3

Hello all,
Looking for some help pricing a 40" By 160" (3.33ft x 13.33ft)
using 15lb HDU with background hogged out .25" deep
3 paint colors-pretty simple paint application, background and 2 color text.
Thank you in advance, I understand that different ares are going to command different prices but
I do not know if $2700 is to cheap or not much.

spectrum maine

pricing

that price seems good, if it is a simple design. if is a complex, fancy sign you are selling yourself short by about $1500-2k.

Jean Shimp

At $2700 I'm not sure if you've got enough money to cover the drop material, working with two pieces, what kind of backing or support is there for the installation. Also, how are you concealing the seam in the 13' section. I would charge more for those things - maybe more like $3500.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
To give a more accurate price range, I'd need to know:

• 1 or 2 sided
  • Installation or not
  • Posts/finials
  • Design time included
  • Why only 15lb on such a large sign
  • Support or structural type

rossmosh

If all you're doing is carving and painting the HDU, your pricing is okay if not a bit cheap.

If you're providing a finished sign with the proper frame work, backing material, mounting brackets, and correct material (20lb minimum), you're definitely light on the bid.

To do the entire job "right" you're looking at around $1200-1300 in material. Time on the CNC is going to be around 4-7 hours. Time designing and planning is 1-2 hours. Cutting and weelding up the frame work is another 2-3 hours. Gluing the panels together with the backer board is an hour. Painting/finishing is another 3-8 hours (not including the space it takes up while drying). This is not including anything to do with the install. Just getting a sign done that's ready for install.

So add up the time and on the low side you're spending 10 hours and the high side 20 hours. Assuming you double your material cost, you're already at $2500 and then you have to figure your labor at say $90/hr, well, you can do the math.

If the sign is double sided, you can just take the number and pretty much double it as most people just make two 1.5" thick panels and glue them together.

bpatrick3

Thank You, everyone for your replies,
Additional info:
-One sided
-I will NOT be installing
-Mounted to the front of a building, I figured 15lb would be fine for that.
-1" thick and the drop material will be used to thicken it to 2" and I will also be making the client a 24" x 36" sign at $525
-1 hour max on design/computer time as it is basically a logo
-I will be gluing the seam and backing the seam with a scrap of 1" HDU

I am also taking into account that this customer(real estate company) has sent me steady stream of work for almost 3 years.
I still believe that you need to take that into account, I am probably wrong.