• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help Pricing Used LED back lit sign

Mal

Hello. I'm Mal, from Gravenworks Signs in Ottawa Canada. We are a carved/ gilded and painted sign company, we have no experience with electric back lit signs. Recently we re-did building signage for a pub, and in the process we removed a large aluminum back lit sign. My client has asked us to sell it for them. It is in excellent working condition, LED, two years old, and measures 11 feet wide by 8 feet high. We do have the capability to strip and redo the graphics. May I ask your opinions re a value for the unit? Thanks, Mal
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• empire face.png
    empire face.png
    298.2 KB · Views: 284
  • Empire LED box.jpg
    Empire LED box.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 241

visual800

take it to your aluminum recycling center. its worth nothing to anyone else.

if we take down a box we might hold onto it but a custom design like this I would be very shocked if anyone bought it.

however if you got $200 for it thats $198 more than the scrpyard would give u

Z SIGNS

Don't think it's worth anything except the price of scrap metal.
Might be worth something if you had a job that called for that exact size and shape.
Been building illuminated signs for a long time and each one is different

ams

Look for a new restaurant or store opening and offer it to them for $400. Tell them new it costs $3,000.
Some times people on craigslist are looking for things like that. The scrap yard pays more for aluminum, probably $40 for that size.
But for me, I would strip out the LEDs and reuse them. Don't throw all of it away.

visual800

Look for a new restaurant or store opening and offer it to them for $400. Tell them new it costs $3,000.
Some times people on craigslist are looking for things like that. The scrap yard pays more for aluminum, probably $40 for that size.
But for me, I would strip out the LEDs and reuse them. Don't throw all of it away.

damn what yall gettin for aluminum where you live? I bet I wouldnt get $8 for that sign

2B

Give it back to the customer and let them handle it, they can post of Craigslist just as easy as you can.
Let them strip the LED out and use in the restaurant, reface the sign and use inside.
Maybe reinforce the face and turn it into a serving buffet with back lit illumination

as others have said this is worth minimal at best and the effort to try and salvage is missing.

recycling is going to bring you about .38 cents per lb.
http://www.scrapmsc.com/our-pricing/

ams

Good job, well worth it. We don't have a market for that in my town, it's historic and strict. But larger towns would love it.

Billct2

Wow, that's great. So you removed it and brought it to your shop and then advertised it (on craigslist?)?
You were able to strip the 8'x11' face and relettered with translucent? Did you re-install it?

Mal

Thanks. I had to remove it anyway as part of the sign project we were doing, so no man hours lost on that. Stripping vinyl is always a pain, but I did it on my own time. And the re-lettering was very simple--just big blue letters on the opaque white face. I just hated to see it go to landfill because it was still so fresh. We get a few old backlits from time to time, usually crappy and shot. No guilt in seeing those recycled, lol.