• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help printing red...

Lindsay50111

Hi everyone I was hoping to get some advise on how to print a good red. The customer wants a "blood red" for a backlit sign. I am printing on a Outdoor Falcon Value Jet. I am using clean Oracal 3651 but every red I try is either too pink or orange. Does anyone have any ideas on getting this color. I will try anything, I thought about translucent white??

Mutoh Falcon Outdoor and ValueJet printers are two vastly different devices. Printing a 'blood' red that looks good both day and night (while illuminated) on backlit would be a challenge on any printer, but even more so on the Falcon Outdoor.

Bob

randya

Both use the same ink.

The ValueJet's capability to do multistrike makes it much easier to get higher color densities.

Short of that all boils down to color management and profile.
An FO at 1440 with a good profile for the media will give you you the best shot at an acceptable red.

1440 will allow you to put more ink down for higher density and allow for better dot gain control.(due to the slower print speed)

asignstop

if it's backlit and you have a hard time hitting a red already - go a different route - either translucent cut vinyl - or outsource the print. Are you printing on Translucent - Or Clear Material for this job? Is the print going second side (on the back) or the front of the substrate? If you can get away with using cut vinyl I'd be all over it. Otherwise print multiple "inklayers" a printing option in Flexi on translucent printable media. If you print on clear you may need two prints one atop the other to get a deep red - which is more material and a pain.

Sign Magic

Could someone please let me know how to print double strike? I have a Valuejet and Flexi Print and Cut.

Thank you for your help.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Could someone please let me know how to print double strike? I have a Valuejet and Flexi Print and Cut.

Thank you for your help.

In Production Managers rip & print go to the advanced tab> driver options> overprint and select the number.

ChiknNutz

We recently wrestled with this a bit and ended up creating a double-strike/overprint media profile. We also printed on Orajet 3850 translucent. I once did a small print for a backlit on 3651 or 3165 and it did NOT turn out good...you really need to use a true translucent material...expensive I know, but it's the best way to do it given what you have. The BEST method is two perfectly registered prints...one white and one clear, but I honestly don't know how to do so and maintain perfect registration when mounting the prints together.

Sign Magic

Thanks Mike, is there a way to do this in Flexi 8.5 directly? My version of Flexi is Flexi Print and Cut 8.5 V1 SP2. On the advanced tab> driver options> there is no selection for overprint number. I have noticed that several features that were available in Flexi Print and cut 8.1 are now missing in Flexi Print and Cut 8.5. I guess SAI can givith, and SAI can taketh away.

I did go into the set up menu on the printer and followed Compilla's process and that was able to put it into double strike mode.

Last edited:

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Thanks Mike, is there a way to do this in Flexi 8.5 directly? My version of Flexi is Flexi Print and Cut 8.5 V1 SP2. On the advanced tab> driver options> there is no selection for overprint number. I have noticed that several features that were available in Flexi Print and cut 8.1 are now missing in Flexi Print and Cut 8.5. I guess SAI can givith, and SAI can taketh away.

I did go into the set up menu on the printer and followed Compilla's process and that was able to put it into double strike mode.

Thats the process to overprint to a Versacamm in Flexi Pro 7.6v2.
It may have changed in Flexi 8 or could be different for the Mutoh.