• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help! Removing decals from wrap?

daenterpri

We got hired to remove some old cut vinyl decals from a truck and install some new cut vinyl decals. Kind of a rush order.

i show up to find out that the truck has a matte black wrap on it and the decals are on the wrap. Someone has started removing the decals and its leaving a lot of adhesive behind and someone even started tearing into the matte wrap in the removal process.

I think I can be more gentle in the removal than whoever damaged the wrap, but is there anything I can even use to remove all this adhesive without hurting the matte black wrap underneath??

thanks!

Denatured Alcohol works good for almost all substrates. I would check a small section first though. I would be more worried about scratching the matte with the towel and the left over adhesive that comes off.

daenterpri

Thanks! You can see how someone already damaged it in the picture attached.

Im wondering if I should pass on this job. A couple hundred bucks isn't worth replacing this wrap.

What would you do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 131
I would say it's already ruined. I would also let him know that if the car has been driven in the sun even for an hour. There will be irremovable ghosting left behind. I would tell him there are no guarantees on anything. YOu might have to remove your whole wrap at your own cost. If he says ok then I would do the job. Get it all in writing. etc.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Waste of time, trying to save that mess. Either remove the whole area needing to be fixed and make an appropriate patch to look as if it was intentional, or tell 'em no thanks.

daenterpri

Thanks for the advice guys! Ya, I think we will likely pass on this one. Such a bummer for the customer! Wasn't a good idea to wrap a truck that will constantly be getting new sponsors...

Thanks for the advice guys! Ya, I think we will likely pass on this one. Such a bummer for the customer! Wasn't a good idea to wrap a truck that will constantly be getting new sponsors...

Should have used a temp removable vinyl for the overlay graphics. wouldn't have been an issue. Decals would have come off with no adhesive. Problem is they most likely used a permanent vinyl for the overlay.

decalman

I had a similar situation with decals on paint rock chip guard. The old decals weren't removable, without puling off the guard. were not going to come off, so, I did the best cheapest thing for the customer . I just applied the decal over the whole mess. I made a nice big fat outline. Problem solved.
If you looked closely, you could see some lines, but miniscule.

Christian @ 2CT Media

This is the very reason why we refuse to do overlay decals. People assume the wrap is now paint and you can change the overlay graphics like it is no big deal.

I literally hand them an aluminum panel that is wrapped and has an overlay applied and ask them to remove one letter without damaging the wrap. They understand quickly in that moment that it's not a good idea.

CanuckSigns

Matte vinyl is so finicky at best as is, I would be worried that whatever you use to remove the adhesive will affect the sheen of the vinyl, sometimes just rubbing the matte surface with a cloth can change the appearance.

PASS

63Comet

Should have used a temp removable vinyl for the overlay graphics. wouldn't have been an issue. Decals would have come off with no adhesive. Problem is they most likely used a permanent vinyl for the overlay.

Pass, any panel you try to remove from will be ghosted, the panel in the photo will not be repairable and will need to be replaced... If I where you and it is only the truck bed, give them a price on a rewrap for just those panels, should be able to split a roll and get both sides redone.

Jillbeans

If you really want to punish yourself, try a little bit of Rapid Remover to see it it will take off the glue. (I think it would)
But as has been said, there will still be The Ghost of Decals Past with which to contend.
Therefore, add me to the "PASS" crowd.
Love....Jill

AaronSSsignsKC

That is all bad i would run away once matte vinyl gets GLOSSED out like you see there is no coming back. By the time you get all that off and the adhesive removed the matte wrap under neath is going to be so bad looking it will need to be replaced.