• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help HELP!!! Roland SOLJET PROII SJ745EX - Louder sound on printing

Daniel Maita

Hello guys,

Sorry to bother you. I have some questions and I've wanted to ask some pro's.
I've a Roland Soljet PRO2 sincer July 2015, I've buy it SH, and this year in April, I've bought a new original scan motor due to many service calls that I've had.

The scan motor is original, ROLAND Parts, not Third Party parts. Lately, I've been printing like 10 hours per day, 2 weeks constantly. In the last 2-3 days, my printer started to make some strange noises when printing. Like, if is not greased or something like that. I've attached a video with the sound. I dont know what to do, because I've opened the cover and I've greased all the parts there, but the sound it's still there.

I don't want to change the motor again because I don't have time to loose. I've forget to specify. The motor was new, and was bought from DigiPrint Supplies. from Belgium.

What do you think it could be? It's the scan motor? Or are some other parts? Do you think there is a risk of giving in?

Thanks in advance for all your help. Best regards,
Daniel

citysignshop

well guys, our VS540 does the same thing, makes that rough sound, but only on occasion. short runs are quiet. Longer runs, more than 5 or 10 min print time, halfway thru it will start growling away! THen on the next job, quiet. Sent a recording to our tech, who didn't really troubleshoot it, just said....clean everything, wiggle the moving parts and see if any excess slop, whatever that would be....ten thou, or 10 inches?
...sounds like this is not all that rare, surely some maintenance guys have come up with the 'smoking gun'!?

Joe House

It's kind of hard to tell from a video. You may be able to tell better in person if the noise moves with the carriage or is at one end or the other.
Since you've replaced the motor recently with what you suspect is a good motor, let's ignore that for the moment. You should check everything on the scan axis. As a test, I disengage the motor from the gear and move the carriages by hand. Do you feel or hear any irregularities? If not, check the plastic gear and brass gear for dirt or debris. Clean them both - then test. If you do feel/hear something then check the tracking of the belt - is it centered in the pulleys? Is the belt tension correct? If you still don't know what's causing it, remove the tension from the belt and disconnect it from the carriage. Is there anything when you move the carriages by hand now? If no, I'd replace the pulleys, if yes, then it's probably the linear bearings.
Now you have to get it back together, adjust belt tension - you can guess by hand, but a push pull scale is the correct way to do this. Check tracking while moving it by hand, then put it in Scan Aging Mode and make sure that tracking is correct. Make sure that the gears mesh at the motor.
That pretty much covers anything that would cause that noise.

Good Luck

woolly

got a feeling the sj has a cable not a belt like my sc540 pro2 (may be wrong) which made horrible noises once which was the cable sticking to the drum on the right side so vibrating a sound from the cable like me trying to play a guitar. clean and lube sorted it.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
It sounds like a rapidly repeating sound, leading me to suspect some buildup in the drive gears on the scan motor system. Check both gears at the scan motor. An old toothbrush is good for cleaning the gears. Also put a drop or 2 of light weight machine oil, like 3in1, in the bearing for the pulley at the other end of the machine. I would also suggest loosen the scan motor position adjusting screws and let it readjust itself with the spring tensioner, then re-tighten.