Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Roland VS-640 Black ink streaking...

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by WrapYourCar, Apr 4, 2013.

1. WrapYourCar

WrapYourCar Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi whenever i print a solid 100% Black background, it comes out streaking.. i've tried cleaning... but not much luck, do you think it could be the Cartridge or the head? it's a relatively new machine... under a year old. I have an urgent job i need to do tomorrow, the workaround might be me printing the black using a mix of colors... i really would like to print 100% K though.

Any tips on how i can fix this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Tags:
  2. WrapYourCar

WrapYourCar Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
  3. mbarden

mbarden Active Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Iowa
    Hello there WrapYourCar,
    We just solved this problem earlier this week. The VS Series introduced another encoder into the system. Everyone here is familiar with the linear encoder strip that all of out printers here use to control the print head carriage movements from right to left and back. The new encoder is a clear disc that controls the feed of the grit roller forwards and backwards. This disc is located in close proximity to the print head/caping station assembly. This means the disc gets some over spray and dust. Either remove your covers and clean the disc with some isopropyl alcohol or call and have a tech do it. DO NOT use the Roland cleaning fluid.
    This should get you back in shape.
    Mike B.

4. WrapYourCar

WrapYourCar Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks Mike, was yours happening only with the "Black" ink? the other colors seem fine..

5. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    do you print your black K only, or rich black (a mixture of CMY in there as well)? If K only, you probably have some missing nozzles on K head

edit: just read it IS K only. I suggest 20/20/20/100 for rich blacks (others have slightly different formulas, but this one works for me) :thumb:

6. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    For a rich black C60%, M40%, Y40%, K100%