• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help selecting a new Mimaki printer

Gary Wiant

I currently have a JV33-130 that I love and is working great but the wife recently told me to start looking for a new printer. This is my second Mimaki (JV3 & JV33) and I'm pretty sure I want to get another Mimaki. My shop is know for my signs long durability. I've been running SS1 inks since I bought the JV3. So my choices of printers are either the JV150, JV300 & maybe the JV400 LX, depending on ink durability of the Mimaki Latex. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also any speed comparisons between double CMYK & CMYK O G LM LC
Also what speeds are you realistically able to print HP vinyl

Thanks

Zambookajoe

I bought a jv150 on the 1st of May, I also have a jv33 160

I took double cmyk, I like it, its a bit faster then my jv33

the only problem I had withit was trying to run some 20 ounce banner
the roll had been slighty dinged on both edges and would not run.
it would slowly move the guides and cause the paper jam sensor to stop
the machine, however it ran fine in my jv33.

yeah, I could of returned the roll, but I was in a hurry to make some banners

jfiscus

Rap Master
We've run Mimaki's here for around 10 years, but our next printer is going to be a HP latex.
The JV3/33s are great printers, but their new latex was a flop.

With customers getting more and more demanding and things getting more and more rushed the ability to laminate the same day as printing is the selling point of the latex.

rjssigns

If you get the Mimaki latex you'd be the only person on this forum with one. Upside is you'd be able to answer all kinds of questions many of us have.

Gary Wiant

The latex kind of scares me for durability. I have heard the HP will only give you a few years 3-4 with lam. So I wasn't sure of the Mimaki latex inks. I'm really impressed with the JV300. Now if I can sell my JV33. I'm still interested in any SS21 orange durability and how much faster you can print with the MAPS3 technology

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I saw the new ones at a sign show. We are also long time Mimaki users. The one thing that grabbed me at the show was how immediately familiar the new 150 and 300 machines were to me. The same rock solid bullet proof media takeup and loading is very important to me. I've seen lots of thread on other brands not feeding straight or buckling, etc, not taking up right, needing to feed material all the wal down to the takeup and taping it on before even thinking about starting to print (or will have lots of problems), etc. Those things scare me off a little - I mean really, you need to waste 3 feet of material taping it to the takeup before printing on other brands??? No thanks.... Is the other brand machine pretty much 95% plastic? lol

Sure sure the print head in my JV33 costs 2 grand and takes 30 minutes to install.... I'm still running that same print head after 3 years though and it still prints perfect.

I do also want to like latex though. I really do. I know its the trendy thing and either latex or some other ink will be the future but solvent is far from dead. Not just Mimaki, other brands including brands under HP ownership are still releasing brand new models of solvent ink based machines. I think that says something.... I do doubt you will find much, if any feedback on the orange and green inks yet. Just have not been out long enough for much talk about them to surface. Of course just like with LcLm you machines speed will be cut in half if you are not running dual CMYK although you could go with the 300 machine which adds a second print head then run 8 color and have the same speed as the single head model or run the 300 as dual CMYK and have double the speed we enjoy with our old JV33 machines. I do also like the idea of orange and green ink colors though - the expanded gamut would be nice but at the same time I can say that it is very very rare that I have really even had any issues with color gamut running dual CMYK so I'm not convinced the expanded gamut will be a game changer.

Lot of choices for sure. As I mentioned, the Mimaki machines you will be able to start running almost immediately with almost nothing new to learn. They have updated the control panel though. Much nicer but still immediately familiar in almost all aspects. The idea of immediately dry is also very very interesting but I'm still just not sold on it yet. Some brands need to pre-coat media with some sort of chemical or something, they need to cook the material at stupidly hot temperatures (need dual 220v outlets! there goes your whole "green" argument if you are using more than double the energy, is it really any "greener"?).

Quark

Merchant Member
I just bought cjv150-160 with cmyk lc lm or lk. I'm excited about cut first - print over second, 8 color quality, 2 liter oem bulk inks, 4pl variable dot. I also have hp latex and I believe it will just collect dust with $150 print heads every 2 liter (my case) my ***

Gary Wiant

Straight line - running the DOUBLE CMYK on the 300 is about 6 times faster than the 33 not 2X. The 300 should print CMYK X2 at about 109 sq.m/hr. And the JV33 does about 18. So the 300 should print CMYK Or. LK, LM, LC at about 54.5 sq.m/hr.

Quark - which ink set do you get? If you are using SS21, Did your distributor say anything about the orange not lasting as long as the CMYK?

We typically run 540x720 12 pass my question is with the MAPS3 can you speed up the printer and print at either an lower resolution or lower pass and get either the same or better quality?

Thanks

Gary Wiant

Wow that's pretty good, lots better than what I've heard before (other than from a mfg. Or distributor). I know it matters a lot where your located but in Western Pennsylvania we've gotten better than that from our Mimaki JV3 &JV33 with SS21, so I know it's possible.

thanks

Gary Wiant

I made the decision to purchase the JV300 and I'm going to use the 8 color mode for now, if I don't see a lot better colors than my JV33 with CMYK x 2 I'm going to convert it to CMYK x 2 and take the speed advantage.

Straightline - now I understand why the 300 will only print twice as fast as the 33, the high speed that I was using from the 300 is only available in 1 pass and 1 pass is only doable in CMYK x 2 so when compared using similar pass prints the 300 is about 2x faster.

Thanks to everyone for the help

Gary Wiant

So I've had the JV300 installed last Tuesday with the CMYKcmkO inkset and I'm extremely happy with the colors I'm getting. I'm very happy with the purchase.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Awesome! Glad to hear it, been eventually going to be considering either a JV3-150 or 300 to replace our old JV33. I've had an even older JV3 before the JV33 and both have served us very well and I have no complaints. Looking forward to seeing more folks using and commenting on them. As you have seen already, there are just not enough around yet to really see much in the way of comments on them from real users.

Gary Wiant

I would highly recommend the JV300 over the JV150 especially if you are interested in getting the CMYKcmkO inkset because we are printing at about the same speed now as we were with the JV33 with CMYK x2 so if you get the JV150 you will be printing slower than you are with your JV33 now.

Imi not sure if you've seen but Mimaki is holding Mini Expo's across the country check out the Mimaki website was.mimakiusa/events to see if you can go check out the new printers in person, or if you would like to see a sample job printed with the JV300 & The 8 color inkset let me know.

Good luck

printndisplay

Please advice

I am planning to start a new printing establishment for wall decors, canvas prints, stickers and decals,, quality of print matter to me especially for canvas and wall papers, can anyone advise best suitable mimaki equipment's for this purpose.

signs20

Mimaki Printers

We run a JV3-160 and a JV33-160 and they have been great!

We also use Bordeaux inks with their bulk ink system and have had very good results. The Bordeaux inks seem to be as durable as SS2 and are far cheaper. They also match SS2 very well.

getcustomized

Mimaki has 4k off ending today on the CJV-300 64" print/cut model. Get it with orange and light black inkset. I personally would avoid the white and silver inks. Too much maintenance.